Quail aren't Laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Barn Yard Birds, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Barn Yard Birds

Barn Yard Birds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Hi I need a little assistance. I have some button quail and they aren't laying. Well let me back up one started to lay and it laid 3 eggs one each day and then we got a storm and then she stpped soi thought she got scared and she would start back up. but nope. She has yet. I don't know why..I feed them layer...all the time and she was laying... then since she stopped i tried giving them some sweet feed.I also tried to see if they liked cracked corn.. but still nothing...Some one told me to they started with the payer so i bought some yesterday and i guess we will see. But if anyone has some more suggestions let me know. I would greatly appreciate it... Lee

2. Barn Yard Birds

Feb 5, 2012
    I forgot to say I am havong the same issue with my bobwhote as well. they should be laying by now.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't know much about Button quail, but I do know that Bobwhites are seasonal layers and will lay when there is enough light and heat to kick in the breeding season. Breeding season runs spring thru fall.

4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Hi. My friend sent me here to help you.

Are your button on the ground? They hate cage bottems. They also need to be in single pairs. No communites allowed.

Turn on a light at night, keep feeding them, and it'll happen again. How old are they? Remember, buttons are different than all other quail.

I'll check back.

5. Barn Yard Birds

Feb 5, 2012
    yes they are all in a cage together they grew up together. I don't know how to tell the difference between boys and girls on buttons... I have noticed 2 of my buttons have strange feet.. the others have orange and the other 2 have like brown it is strange.. is that how you tell.???
    One of them were laying.. I dont know which one.. laid for 4 days straight i was excited.. then just stopped could it be because of storms.. Plus they are out side.. they have plenty of light... what is the best way to keep them marty1876..?// Lee

6. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

They will lay again. If they are getting along pefectly, with no signs of fighting, I'd leave them at this point. You'll have to learn to vent sex, since its hard to tell otherwise.

She/they will lay again. When they are badly frightened, it can take a few weeks for them to go back to laying. You said they are outside, thats good for now, but do they have sheltor from storms also? They mostly need ground contact.

If she/they were happy enough to lay once, it will come again, just give them some tiime. They are very special little birds. Its pretty late for me here, so I'll check back tomarrow, and bring you more info as I think about what all you'll need to know for success.

There is also a quail thread (search "I have quail" and it'll show it to you. I think its called I have quail, do you have quail. Also, four of us over at "the thread formerly known a hatch day is today" keep quail, and two of us have or have had buttons. I've got some european buttons in the bator again now. Cute little eggs, huh??

7. Barn Yard Birds

Feb 5, 2012
    Yes I think the eggs are so cute and tiny and get excited like a little school girl seeing them for the first everytime. They did start to lay again.
    I know I have 3 females for sure. I see there little back feather are getting messed up.. But they are all laying in the box again..
    They all do get along they all grew up together.... They seem very content...Thank you for all your help.. hoping they continue to lay daily.

8. blakemartin3

blakemartin3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2014
    Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the male and female tuxedos?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by