Quail attacking quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DashDotty, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DashDotty

DashDotty New Egg

Nov 13, 2017
    Hi,

Im new here and just needing a bit of help...

I have two quails, a 16 week old Coturnix jananese quail and a 13 week old italian quail.

the younger of the two birds keeps attacking the older qail, sometimes its as little as it jumping on/over its back, when it lands on the back it sitsn it for about 5-10 seconds at most. other times it can be constant pecking at it, following it, preventing it from eating ect

just wondering if it is normal behaviour and if its not how do is stop it? their enclosure isnt the biggest i admit but it 6/7 times bigger than it has to be by law and the biggest we can currently manage with until i can sort a new place out (awaiting delivery for a larger enclouser thats about 3 times bigger than their current one) so i know following isnt too much of a problem and cant be helped much.

any help/advice is very much appreciated

2. Ulaidian

Ulaidian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2017
    Belfast Northern Ireland
    Are you sure it isn't the male trying to breed with the female? It can look a bit rough, but that sounds like what you are describing.

3. DashDotty

DashDotty New Egg

Nov 13, 2017
    i suppose it might be...although the seller told me they are both female. he also said to expect around about 10-12 eggs a week due to there being two female but sometimes we're lucky if were getting 5-6 eggs a week.

what way can i see if it is th mating? (if there is a way?)

4. Ulaidian

Ulaidian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2017
    Belfast Northern Ireland
    One will crow, and you still see deposits of foam looking stuff instead of poo.
    Failing that if you look at the vent, and gently squeeze, a male will produce said foam. Obviously eggs are a hen's thing, but even mine are slowing down.. but in the long daylight times, it will be one a day.

DashDotty likes this.
  5. DashDotty

DashDotty New Egg

Nov 13, 2017
    i'll have a look thanks, wasnt aware i could check their sex like that

6. DashDotty

DashDotty New Egg

Nov 13, 2017
    From what I've seen the Italian looks like it could be male. Ill double check tomorrow cos i couldn't get a good angle (the bird got a bit distressed) but I'm about 90% certain its a male and a female.

Ulaidian likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by