Quail being loud and acting weird?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vicky1212123, Jan 8, 2017.

1. vicky1212123

vicky1212123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    Hi everyone. I recently had a quail setup with 4 girls in one cage and one male. The male got stepped on by my sister and consequently had his leg broken, so I removed him to be healed. A few hours after i did ( and i don't know if its a coincidence that they just started doing it then) one of the girls started being REALLY loud. She got all the other girls riled up as well. I even put the make back in there in his cast for a while to see if that wold calm her down, but it didn't. When i say she is very loud i mean VERY loud. My girl are usually very tame and calm. I noticed that she's more crazy at night, but still loud during the day. When I take her out, all the other birds calm down. in case you were wondering, i am getting 3 eggs a day from the cage of four birds. I haven't noticed any unusual poo, although crazy's was a bit green when I took her out to sit by my desk earlier today. When she;s out of her cage, she is very calm. I did also recently changed bedding. When i felt on her tummy for an egg, there was one in there but i don't know if she is egg bound. She is a relatively new layer. i give calcium supplements. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!!!!

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    How long has it been since she layed her last egg? She may be egg bound. If she still is laying almost every day, she may just miss the male. When you put him back in, it may not help, because animals know when another is sick of injured, and often shut them out instinctively (to avoid getting sick or injured themselves - a survival reflex).

3. vicky1212123

vicky1212123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    I don't know when she laid her last egg. Like I said, I usually get 3 eggs a day from the cage of 4 girls that she is in. She probably last laid yesterday I felt an egg near her vent, and it's been there for a few hours w/o being laid. None of the vets here that take poultry are open. If she doesn't lay an egg by tonight, I guess I'll come back here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by