Quail breed - How loud are the Roos?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by harbisgirl, Oct 3, 2012.

1. harbisgirl

harbisgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
    Hello all,

I have chickens and have been concidering getting into raising Quails - for eggs and meat. However, I'm worried about the noise. Normal little sounds are just fine of course, but I'm worried about the Roo's crowing. Is it as loud as a chicken Roo? Is it triggered the same way - sunrise, sounding the alarm, etc? Their pen would be somewhat close to a neighbor - a couple hundred feet, and I don't want to disturb them. I've read that Coturnix tend to be friendliest, but also the loudest. Is one breed known as a quiet breed?

2. Caribear

Caribear Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    Darke County, Ohio
    I have coturnix and they are very quiet. They mainly seem to crow during "mating season" and the most noise I ever had from mine was when I had to separate one of my roos from his ladies. He crowed once every couple of minutes or so. I seriously considered making him into dinner, lol. But seriously, they are pretty quiet. Here is a youtube video of a cot crowing. This is not my video or my bird, just sharing for informational purposes.

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    There are few males that very noisy. It best to cull and only keep the quiet one.

4. harbisgirl

harbisgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
    LOL that's it? That's not so bad! It's actually quite cute. I feel much better, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by