Quail Breeder cage made out of a old dresser

Valley quail breeder

Songster
10 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Post your pics of your homemade breeder pens. Here's a few pics of a Breeder pen I'm building out of a old dresser....

Use small wood or metal trim like 3/4" thick, make a little box same size as the floor and use hardware cloth staple to top of the 3/4" top and use little spacers to raise it up 1/2" off the floor so you could slide in trays with newspaper to catch the droppings just like they do in rabbit hutches or bird cages Also can buy tin foil cookware pans like baking sheets...And the Quail walk above on the hardware cloth and not on the surface of the shelf itself and the pan slides underneath for easy cleaning...There will be 6 sections when done...

47039_sdc10769.jpg

47039_sdc10770.jpg

47039_sdc10771.jpg

47039_sdc10773.jpg

47039_sdc10782.jpg

47039_sdc10784.jpg

47039_sdc10786.jpg

47039_sdc10787.jpg

Last edited:
No it's not wrong actually I catch myself looking for deals at yard sales all the time...
smile.png

Quote:
Is it wrong that now I look at yards sales for items I can turn into pens? lol....I like it

Of course it's not wrong! I do it all the time. Most recent conversion was for a new brooder cage for a few quail. it could be a breeder cage, too, I suppose. This was a toy box or bench of some sort. It's now pretty enough to put in the main part of the house, if I wanted to do so. I didn't have to buy anything for this. All I needed were some furring strips, a few screws, a bit of paint, and a scrap of hardware wire. (Next conversion project: My 25 cent golf bag cart will become a cart for moving garden tools back and forth from the shed to the garden in one trip. That'll be an easy one. I'm debating how I want to go about it, though. I have til spring...

63147_100_3377.jpg
63147_100_3378.jpg

Converted:
63147_brooder_1.jpg
63147_brooder_2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine looks for electronic stuff & computer stuff to cannibalize for parts...I think he's going to build the robot that takes over the world or something.

I've eyed a few dressers for this purpose but, well, anything I buy has to fit into my car. Most dressers are too big. Bookcases now, those will fit....

Thanks for giving me an idea!I have some old wooden shelves in the basement I figure if I just nail on a peice of plywood to the back and add some wire and doors I have 4 breeding cages!

Back
Top Bottom