quail breeds

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bantamboy, Oct 31, 2011.

1. bantamboy

bantamboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    hey guys im pretty new to quail i had a few a while back but had some problems with them surviving so i let the remainder of them go. i need some advise on them any info would be appreciated and what are the different breeds or types of them are their pics would also be nice [​IMG] thanks

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    My advice -if you can't keep them alive, so you get mad and just let the rest go...is get a stuffed animal. Quail the easiest thing to raise. If you truly are interested in quail, go with coturnix. The rest would require to much time and effort for you to take care of.

3. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hey There! I'm brand new to quail as well, but wanted to throw my 2 cents in [​IMG]

What you need to do first is read, read, read....
    There are excellent stickies on the quail thread that describe care, housing and colors and much more.

You didn't say if you had a "survival" problem with hatching or with adult birds, so as a general answer...I'd recommend assesing the problem and making sure it is no longer a factor before proceeding with new animals.

I will agree with bfrancis only in that (so far for me ), quail really have been easy to have!! at least compared to my chickens.... [​IMG]

Hope this helps.....

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:X2 the more you know about something the easier it is to succeed

Or the harder I work the "luckier" I seem to be LOL

5. bantamboy

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    the problem i had was getting them to hatch and once they hatched they would die i the type i had were bob white quail. but i have recently gotten a new incubator with humidity control and a little fan and everything to regulate temp it is pretty awesome so im really thinking about trying again.

6. bantamboy

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    and also one more question. can the quail live in the same pen as bantams? i wanted to ask if anybody has tried this or anything simlar before i did and something happen to them.

7. bantamboy

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    Quote:i let the reamining ones free because i couldnt bear the sight of seeing them die like the rest and not live a happy life.

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Bobwhites are toughy birds for a beginner. I am glad you got a better incubator though. I suggest coturnix quail to start with. As with housing quail and chicken....this is a big no no to most breeders. You can do as you please with your own birds but it isn't recommended due to disease transfer from chicken.

9. bantamboy

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    ok i didnt even think abou tthe disease transfer i was more worried about them fighting them or killing each other

10. bantamboy

Apr 9, 2011
    Conway Sc
    Quote:do you have any pictures of these coturnix quail ive never heard or seen of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by