Quail Bumblefoot? Need a good treatment!

Chikndinner

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Hey guys. I have a few jumbo browns on wire. The other day I saw one hen limping a little. She is my largest girl. I pulled her out and the pads on her feet are very swollen, red and a little warm. Looks kinda like a case of chicken bumblefoot.

I wrapped her up and pulled the scabs off and cleaned her feet and tried to find an abcess. I could not get anything out after probing and squeezing the wound. I put some neosporing on them but did not wrap them as I had nothing suitable on hand. I have had her in the hospital pen on new clean shavings for a few days now and not much improvement.

What can I do more or better to help this hen? She is my biggest hen with good genes and is an excellent layer. I would like to get her healed up.

Can anyone recommmend a good treatment from here on out? I need to go to get some vet wrap so I can wrap them properly. Do I need to operate again? What else can I put on the wounds?

Thanks
Jason

there is a thread i am looking for on making a paste of duramycin and putting it on the quails foot- i'll post it for you when i find it..
smile.png

Thank You so much, I happen to have some duramycin. I have been cleaning the feet with some betadine and they are somewhat improved but not all healed up yet. I will give it a try.

i have 2 cochin girls it worked with, so i am hoping if it is caught early this might work, but i would still think in advanced cases the core would be the issue- i am still new to all the ins and outs- keep us posted

that is what is going on with my hen, i also heard that a poultice of sugar and iodine will draw infection out, for now i will do the duramycin and see how it goes- how is the little one today?

well, what i would suggest is keep up the treatment- i don't have quail, but have read they have wonderful recuperation capabilities-i'll have to hunt that post down- but i found it by searching for bumblefoot in the quail threads

Back
Top Bottom