1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail Bumblefoot? Need a good treatment!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chikndinner, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey guys. I have a few jumbo browns on wire. The other day I saw one hen limping a little. She is my largest girl. I pulled her out and the pads on her feet are very swollen, red and a little warm. Looks kinda like a case of chicken bumblefoot.

I wrapped her up and pulled the scabs off and cleaned her feet and tried to find an abcess. I could not get anything out after probing and squeezing the wound. I put some neosporing on them but did not wrap them as I had nothing suitable on hand. I have had her in the hospital pen on new clean shavings for a few days now and not much improvement.

What can I do more or better to help this hen? She is my biggest hen with good genes and is an excellent layer. I would like to get her healed up.

Can anyone recommmend a good treatment from here on out? I need to go to get some vet wrap so I can wrap them properly. Do I need to operate again? What else can I put on the wounds?

Thanks
    Jason

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    there is a thread i am looking for on making a paste of duramycin and putting it on the quails foot- i'll post it for you when i find it..[​IMG]

3. Chikndinner

Sep 9, 2010
    Thank You so much, I happen to have some duramycin. I have been cleaning the feet with some betadine and they are somewhat improved but not all healed up yet. I will give it a try.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have 2 cochin girls it worked with, so i am hoping if it is caught early this might work, but i would still think in advanced cases the core would be the issue- i am still new to all the ins and outs- keep us posted

5. Chikndinner

Sep 9, 2010
    I have tried and opened up the wounds and could not find a core. Wish I could have [​IMG]

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    that is what is going on with my hen, i also heard that a poultice of sugar and iodine will draw infection out, for now i will do the duramycin and see how it goes- how is the little one today?

7. Chikndinner

Sep 9, 2010
    The heat and redness is diminished but the pads are still swollen with scabs.

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    well, what i would suggest is keep up the treatment- i don't have quail, but have read they have wonderful recuperation capabilities-i'll have to hunt that post down- but i found it by searching for bumblefoot in the quail threads

9. hadouglas

hadouglas Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    Detroit, Michigan
    [​IMG]

Found this on my 6 week Cot hen this am, is this what the bumblefoot looks like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by