1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail cage cost

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fitzy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    I read a couple posts on here about people taking plans to their "builder". I'm just wondering what these builders charge to make your cages....flat rate, hourly or by the square foot?

Any builders on here feel free to chime in....

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Here Mr Saddi does the building, I'm forbidden to touch powertools after a certian electrocution/fire/burn ward incident.... [​IMG]

Really I think he's over protective. So I put it on paper, and he builds it while I make sandwiches. [​IMG]

For my coop, it was built by a family member who owed me $, he built it as part of paying me off (I'm still out thousands). [​IMG]

3. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    I supose as i make mine myself, if i was to make one for someone else, i would take into account the matirals, time and effort then make up a price for them all in one !, its a con if you do it buy the hour as they can stall, I personaly would do it as a lump sum.

And yes the size would affect the price !

4. fitzy

fitzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    manhattan, ks
    Well, I build my own cages but i was asking for two reasons:

1) I thought about putting up a sign for cusom cages in the local farm supply store and wanted to figure out how to charge people.

2) My buddy who runs a pet store invited me to attend a reptile/pet exhibit this weekend to sell a few buttons and possibly make some contacts. He says i should charge $15ea. for the quail or maybe 2/$25. I was thinking about making some smallish cages to sell people so they wouldn't have to track down proper housing. I was kinda guessing a 12"x12"x5" cage (made from 1/2" hardware cloth) would be about the right size. I was thinking about asking around $30 for the cage with a feed dish and waterer, but I dont want to rip anyone off either.

I guess i'm having issues here because there's no way i can charge the same rate i make at my day job. So, i need to come up with a formula to figure a price that's worth my time and effort but doesn't rip people off.

5. m.rogers

m.rogers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    Glen Burnie MD.
    I guess the best way to come up with a price is to see how many cages you can get out of 1 thing of 1/2" hardware cloth then divide them by the price of the 1/2" hardware cloth (2cages from 1 role of 1/2" hardware cloth that cost $12.00 = $6.00 per cage + feed and waterer dish + what you think your time is worth = your totla rost per cage

6. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Tractor supple sells 24'' x 24'' cages for 25$ but those are 1'' x 1/2'' wiring you
    should try to be cheaper then them... so i say 20$ for the 12'' x 12'' cage with a waterer and feeder? but thats just me, if you have a market for it to sell em for more then you should.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I buy my cages from a guy near me. A 24" x 24" cage, with 1"x1 1/2" wire on tops and all sides, with 1/2"x1/2" wire on the bottom, costs $12

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by