Quail cage Flooring?

quail2012

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Hi,

I have a big walk in cage for my 12 quails. They love it in there. But during the recent wet weather the floor (concreate slabs) gets horrible. We normally put hay down but its just getting soaked.
I was thinking of using gravel or something that any water can at least drain through?
Any ideas most welcome.

Hey, I built my aviary on concrete as well and just filled it up with sand! Up until now it has worked great! You should be careful with the bark chips! If they are from cedar it can cause irritation to the birds! I also used a small amount of bark chips just to give the quail some variety and it looks great! But just don't get cedar bark chips!

That would probably also work since it's soft wood there will probably be no splinters! But if you could find good bark chips that arent cedar I think that would be the best! Or you could use sand and put some of those bark chips on top to create a landscape and maybe add some small grasses or something to hold the sand! Is you'r cage out in the open or indoors? If it's outside you could probably put a small layer/amount of any bark chips there because they will dry out and won't give off any chemicals!

Thank for the advise.

I have managed to move there cage now, across my muddy garden.

I have used bricks around the inside edge, then put in about 2 inch of gravel. Then put another 2inch of wood chippings on. I will post a picture later if i can.

Back
Top Bottom