Quail Cage

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Che, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    So I Have 3 quails so far one female one male and one just hatched chick a week old so I need some type of clue of what to build. I am not really handy either so anything basic would help. Anyone have any type of advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have kept them in a 2 clear tote boxes so yea I think it is really time to get them out of there....

here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

had 2 other babies but my I sold them to my friend and they are doing quite well

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    looks like you got one golden/Italian coturnix..and 2 wild color(pharaoh). it would be best to keep them outside, as...the poo kinda stinks, and they tend to do that alot.1/2inch hardware cloth on the bottom will work, any sort of structure will work.

what type of material do you have around you, you can always take old pallets and break them down, build something with that.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
  4. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    After I had a button quail hurt her leg in a 1/2 inch wire parrot cage (the bars on the side of the cage that is, the bottom of the cage was solid) I stopped keeping quail in cages. Mesh would be better, but of course that wouldn't be predator proof outside, if you want to keep them outdoors [​IMG] I guess most people don't have any problems with quail hurting their legs but after my experience I know I couldn't keep quail in wire cages.

Are you planning to keep them indoors or outdoors?

If I had a small spare room (a spare bathroom would be perfect) I'd have coturnix free range or else have a nice sized indoor aviary. I plan on my future coturnix being in a playhouse or shed though [​IMG]

5. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    Thanks for the link I love the cages in there. I can maybe find a pallet or get one from work. I like them as inside birds they are nice pets but their poo gets tiresome to clean every few days so I am open to ideas and suggestions.

6. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    Quote:THATS AWESOME!!!!! [​IMG] Do you have an idea what it might cost material wise?

8. Tikkajazz94

I Don't know... The wire is Prob $20-50 bucks. You can get Recycled Plywood at a Dump or something. The Hings would be around $2-5. Nails here is $10 for a box of them (3-4 Pounds) So Round $32-65

All I need to get is the Wire and hinges. I have everything at home. But I want to Support a Friend (She's having a Rough time).

9. Tikkajazz94

Quote:THATS AWESOME!!!!! [​IMG] Do you have an idea what it might cost material wise?

I would also go online to your local Hardware store and They have prices online

At Home Depot a 7/16 4X8 sheet is $6.59 Plus tax

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by