quail chick can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GD91, Feb 3, 2014.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I hatched 3 quail chicks from 24 eggs (the incubator had a fault & read much lower temperatures on a separate thermometer).

1 chick has died, I have 2 left.

One is enormous, twice the size of its littermate. This chick is the one with the problem. It hatched 2 days later than the others & after finding 4 chicks dead having pipped externally (just died with their beaks at the holes) I decided to assist it out. I was shocked at its size.

Its issue is it keeps falling onto its left side, its left wing droops, its left leg seems to not hold it up well & its head tilts left a bit. It also seems mute. It never chirps. Not even when handled or hot or cold. It spends most of its time on its side with its eyes closed apparently asleep.It seems to "flip" on its side or just topple.

It can walk in a straight line if you poke it upright & it tries to eat quite a bit. I've given it food & water. Provided vitamins. Haven't got any electrolytes. Given sugar water.

Here is what went on with the inky:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/852979/can-i-breed-broodyness-back-in-inky-poroblem-to

The other chick is small, but very bouncy, feisty & attention seeking. It just wants to play constantly & seems upset when the other one ignores it. Its eating, drinking & running around fine so far.

I'm worried about it if the other one dies though because it still keeps him company. 2 days ago I woke up & found the little one cuddled up quietly "talking" to the one that had died (they had hatched together before the third was introduced). It was a heartbreaking sight to wake up to. [​IMG]
    My last lone bantam chicken chick died at a week old, I'm sure because she was lonely. She always seemed upset because there were no other chicks to play with.

Any heads up on what may be wrong with this baby. I'm unable to post pics, my phones broke.

2. vtspilotcar

vtspilotcar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Im sorry but I dont think it will live. Sounds like he just didnt develop right in the egg. Have u decided what your going to do yet? If you have only the one maybe you can find him friend or find someone near by that has quail too about his size.

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I culled it this evening. I'd already warned DH it was the most likely outcome. The other chick is upset now [​IMG]

I've looked, I can't find any chicks to keep him company at all. He's crying persistently,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by