Quail chick crop issue

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nadrojsack, Feb 22, 2015.

1. nadrojsack

nadrojsack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    Ive got one chick with a suspected enlarged crop on its right side of the neck. the chick isnt developing as fast as the others. but is eating and drinking. The area is squishy. Its been like this for two days. Any suggestions? thankyou[​IMG]

and a nice full shot of chicks.
    [​IMG]

ps. the crop issue was before the wood pellet flooring.

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    could he have eaten anything that would not pass, like wood shavings or even a large piece of food. He could have an impacted crop but I dont know if that happens at this young of age. DC could help more than I can. Best of luck.

3. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    the only large thing available would have been droppings from other birds that may have fallen in the food...

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with GrandmaBird, I don't see how it's crop could have become impacted if it was only eating starter crumbles, unless whatever bedding you used before could be ingested. It just doesn't really happen with the little guys and when it does there isn't much that can be done. I've heard of putting an eye dropper with a drop of veggie oil in their crop to soften impactions. Sounds like a good way to accidentally kill a bird to me. Vets can remove them with surgery but birds this size that's not applicable.

Here is a little info on impacted digestive systems in poultry

http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/crop_gizzard.html
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/76/impaction-and-foreign-bodies-of-gizzard

To me, without seeing it from more angles, it sort of looks like a wry neck. Can you take pics from all angles? Does it hold it's head to one side or is it's neck crooked?

5. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    its neck is slightly askew. Ill take some better pictures shortly, thanks

6. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    Yesterday the neck bulge had reduced, but is back again. The bird has slow development in comparison to the others. Im going to investigate and take pictures in the next hour. Thanks

7. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    Seems like its not an issue..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] the others have lost the fluff and feathering out now leaving wee crook neck behind.

8. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

10. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    Its not getting worse, possibly rectifying itself? what ever it is its really stunted his development, the chick is the only fluffy one now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by