1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail chick died - picture

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nadrojsack, Mar 14, 2015.

1. nadrojsack

nadrojsack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    one of my recent hatch chicks died. any ideas from the picture?

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sorry you lost this one. Lots of reasons chicks die right after hatch. How many others hatched and are they all doing ok?

3. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    the blue beak is new to me. ive got 40 chicks at the moment. all doing well bar 1 pasty butt.

4. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    lost two more during the night, same blue beaks. both under the brooder heater this time however. What is the blue beak a sign of?

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What is the temp in your brooder? And where is the thermometer?

Did you dip everybody's beak in the water when placing them in the brooder? Quail chicks are not all that smart and will die from dehydration if they can't drink.

Do not cover the top of your brooder with anything but a screen or wire. You need good heat and oxygen exchange.

6. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    okay, could be oxygen or dehydration.

ambient temp 25
    35 under electric hen.

poss because a large hatch i need to open vents more

poss because i use a nipple waterer, some chicks dont get it. although im on day 5/6 now?

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Your temp sounds good. Uncover the entire lid of the brooder and get oxygen in there. Blue beaks or even in humans when our fingernails and lips turn blue, means you don't have enough oxygen. You are probably over heating them as well in places around the brooder.

No nipple waters for a while. Get a low dish or even a jar lid and put some water in it. Put some tiny stones in it too as quail fall into water very easily and drown. Dip everybodies beak in the water and hopefully they start drinking.

Next, lay paper towels down and sprinkle around CRUSHED food all around the feeders. Newly hatched chicks in the wild have momma to show them where water is and food is. So you need to do these things for them. Tap with your fingers at the food as if you are eating. Crush the food because it will be too big for them to eat if you are feeding a gamebird starter. Gently hold them over the water and lightly dip their beaks in until the understand to drink.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like a case of dehydration and not enough oxygen.

9. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    well i've still been loosing chicks, finding them near the back of the electric hen on sides quite flat. ive lost alot this hatch the only difference with this hatch was i used 5% more humidity on the incubation from my previous hatch.

im perplexed theyre in a 6ft brooder, so plenty of oxygen. two water nipples
    and a 3kg chick feeder with crumb food basicaly blended feed i raise my adult quail on. this setup has always worked before...

ive lost about 15.

the one i noticed to be on its way out was weak and cold, warmed up and gave water from a dropper but still died 2 hrs later.

am i missing something?

10. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    At 2 weeks they should be more robust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by