Quail chick head jerk

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kwartel, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have a three week old quail chick that will turn his head to the side and just kind of jerk it back and forth. It looks a little like a person fighting to stay awake. It eats, drinks and interacts just fine with the other chicks, but when they are just standing around it is the only one that starts twitching. Has anyone seen or heard of this?

2. Quailfamah

Quailfamah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    central maine
    does he do it randomly or after he drinks?

3. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    It seems totally random. Sometimes he just stands there and does it, or will walk forward kind of pecking at the air, and then will just switch to totally normal mode.

4. Quailfamah

Quailfamah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    central maine
    ive never seen anything liek what your describing ans ive hatched thousands of quail. the only thing i can think of is wryneck, buthave never seen it in quail. if its not a big loss on your part id cull it just for genetic reasons. you dont wanta flock of messed up neck birds in teh future

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wry Neck Isnt Genetic. If It Is Wry Neck You Can Add Some Baby Vitamins To The Water Font And It May Well Be Releived. The Bird May Well Have Had Difficulty Hatching And This Is The Most Common Cause Of Wry Neck.

Now If Its Not Wry Neck Then Yeah, The Bird Is A Genetic Dee-dee-dee! So Long As It Is Not Suffering And Continues To Thrive Then You Can Allow It To Mature And Sign It Up For Camp Kenmore [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by