Quail chick leg issues

workindog

Songster
6 Years
Dec 11, 2015
CT
When i think of splayed legs, i think legs going east and west.

I have a newly hatched chick and its having issues with its legs. The only way i can describe it is its legs are too far forward and rests its butt on the ground.

I used a tiny piece of band aid to brace the legs but i dont think thats the issue.
Ive been holding it, trying to get it to build muscle so it can stand up right.
Thought about using a cup but again the legs arent east and west.
Any ideas?

They can take about 24 hours to really get up on their feet. Can you post a photo? Can it get around by itself, however clumsily? Some do seem to sit back on their haunches and shuffle about but they will gain strength. Just make sure they are eating and drinking. Here's one of mine as a recently dried off, new hatchling for comparison:

Bell F.jpg

Last edited:

I have a newly hatched chick and its having issues with its legs. The only way i can describe it is its legs are too far forward and rests its butt on the ground.

I used a tiny piece of band aid to brace the legs but i dont think thats the issue.
Any ideas?
I agree with JaeG, let it alone for 24/hrs. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to gain balance and muscle function, especially if it was a late hatcher.

Hi I've just hatched 11 of my 12 eggs. 10 were unbelievably quick and healthy but one could not stand and spent a lot of time on its back. I moved the 10 to the brooder within an hour or so so the weak one could have some space. It tried so hard to stand but kept falling over unto its back. Next morning when it appeared to be almost dead I gave it a drop of water every hour or so. Later in the day I lifted it out letting its feet touch the ground so it could feel and exercise. The legs were not splayed at all. For 2 days I kept it in the incubator alone giving it water and powdered damp food. On the third morning it was running around the incubator so I moved it in with the rest. It's still small but coping with the rough and tumble of the brooder.
I realise this thread is old but someone might find this post helpful.

Heres a pic from a google search. The chick sits like this.

I dont know much about torn tendons but there is no swelling and the legs arent twisted at all.

I know one of them had a hard time getting out of its shell. Could be this one? Maybe it's just weaker and will be ok?
I dunno.. im wondering if i should take the brace off. Maybe thats preventing it from learning how to walk right? View attachment 1038533

I dont think its going to make it. Seems very weak :(
But yes, it sits like that one in the pic but falls over ALOT, its on its back more often than not. I think i should put it down :(

I can't see your photo but I had one like that and it chirped non stop. Of course, it was our daughters favourite! But it is not unusual to lose at least one quail chick. Sometimes they just don't seem to recover from the rigours of hatching.

I dont think its going to make it. Seems very weak :(
But yes, it sits like that one in the pic but falls over ALOT, its on its back more often than not. I think i should put it down :(
If you have a small syringe, try getting some Nutri-Drench in it. It will definitely help, also might try some electrolytes.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom