Quail chick Questions and Help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by major, Feb 28, 2012.

1. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    OK so I have just done my first ever hatch and one of the chicks seems to have it's feet tucked under so its walking around on it ankles any idare what I can do or shell I just let it get on with it? the chick seems happy running/hobbing about its eatting and drinking too
    Any help would be good!
    thanks guys

[​IMG]

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    you can try a little poly-vi-sol without iron, in the water, its an infant liquid vitamin available at cvs or walgreens, I dont mind putting a few drops in the chicks waterers.

that may help one or all, not sure about the little guy, if he isnt walking strong in a few days, I would prolly cull.

3. Babeebloos

Babeebloos New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    I'm not an expert by any means but I've seen this many times in other posts for new chicks. It seems that you can make a little 'band-aid' shoe for the little guy and it keeps the little toes straight and it will turn out right in a few days from what I gather. Hopefully someone will chime in that's done it before. There are pics somewhere here on the forum you can see and do. It's fairly common if that makes you feel better!

4. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    I've seen the post where they look like the are doing the splits but this is just his feet he did hatch from the wrong end of the egg (pointy end!) and took 20+ hours so he's a fighter lol

5. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen this quite a few times in my birds - chickens too. Sometimes they staighten out, most times they don't. They might be able to get around a bit but they eventually wear their feetd down and the other ones tend to pick on them because they are gimpy. I think it's likely you will have to put this one down.

6. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Good news iv come home from work and had a look and I could not find him so looked again and all 9 are standing on there foot so its it looks like it has sorted it self out this time thanks for all your advice

7. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Hurray I'm glad that worked!

8. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

oh that's good - sometimes it pays to just leave things well enough alone and let nature work it out :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by