Quail chick with organ protruding?

Kaismommy

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
The last quail chick that hatched seems like it has a piece of organ hanging out. Does not appear to be the yolk sac. I left her in there for 12 hours and the mass did not change.
This was the last chick to hatch and was actually several days late. Is there any hope for this chick!?

I have her secluded in her own brooder with heat, food and water. She is very very noisy.

Hello!

That almost looks like a hernia to me. I'm not sure if birds can even get them though. Good job separating her! If you have another chick that is very docile I would put it in with the injured one to keep it quiet, but if the healthy chick picks on the injured one remove it again. You can also make a separate area in the main brooder with a window so this chick can see its friends but cannot be injured by them.

As to whether or not there's hope, personally I would wait and see. If the chick is eating, drinking, and pooping and doesn't seem to be in pain it may make it. I know in dogs the hernia sometimes "shrinks" as the dog gets older. It doesn't necessarily change in size but the growth of the animal makes it less noticeable. Is this bird for breeding, eating, or for a pet? If it survives I would not breed it.

For now, I would keep it separated and keep an eye on it. Watch for infection in the bump and a decrease in eating or drinking. Good luck!

She is still alive but I haven't seen her eat or drink. The mass is turning black. Probably a bad sign. I am hoping she dies soon so she doesn't suffer. Poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom