Quail Chicks and heat lamp

Discussion in 'Quail' started by teradragon, Jan 5, 2014.

1. teradragon

teradragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi guys,

my chicks are nearly 3 weeks old and are mostly fledged.

[​IMG]

They are indoors and the coldest it gets in the house is 15*C.

I plan on replacing the 40w spot bulb with a 7w energy saving bulb, so they have light to potter about in. Will they be ok? Or should I leave them for another week or so?

Thanks.

Joanne.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. teradragon

Excellent. A second opinion is always good for confidence!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Change the bulb - if they start huddling and complaining you will know that they are chilly - then replace the larger bulb. - Not complicated.

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If the 7w energy saver is producing heat it should be just fine, however it probably wont put out enough. Really they only have about another week left of needing a light anyway. I would stick to the 40w since it will put out a good amount of heat. That age should still be being kept up in the mid 80* F (27-28* C). I start mine at 95 F and every week lower it down 5 degrees. At the end of week 4 I turn the light off in the middle of a warm day and don't turn it back on again ever.

6. teradragon

Days are really short here at the moment and there isn't much sunlight coming into the house, so going to leave a light on for them for morale!

7. bahamian raiser

bahamian raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    I plan on buying some quail and there is a four hour ride at what age do they quit needing a heat lamp. around 4 weeks?

8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

4 weeks or when fully feathered but most coturnix are ready to come off the light around 4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by