Quail chicks die just before hatching :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mashal, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mashal

mashal In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Please help me
    This is my second batch, and for the second time i find my coturnix quail chicks dead in their shells, it looks like they died during lockdown period with correct temperature and humidity.
    Could it be that i dont have a fan in my hova bator 1612 incubator or what ????
    Please advice me i am depressed its the 2nd time....

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Songster

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    did you open the vents in the incubator to allow more oxygen in? this is a common problem during lockdown. more air and higher humidity are needed then. sorry for your loss.

3. mashal

mashal In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    I didnt open the vents (the instructions said open them at high altitudes only)
    But i did open the incubator once daily, did that affect the high humidity and
    can low humidity possibly kill all the chicks. The lovely baby one's :(
    Thanks for the reply

4. mashal

mashal In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    I didnt open the vents (the instructions said open them at high altitudes only)
    But i did open the incubator once daily, did that affect the high humidity and
    can low humidity possibly kill all the chicks. The lovely baby one's :(
    Thanks for the reply

5. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chirping

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    opening the incubator during lockdown significantly lowers the humidity. Make sure to not open the incubator at all from the first day of lockdown until the babies are out of their eggs and dry. If for any reason you have to open the incubator during this time, take a spray bottle with distilled water and lightly mist the inside walls of the incubator to bring the humidity back up quickly. Make sure not to get the eggs wet and be very careful not to wet the thermostat or any electrical components. But it's best not to open the lid at all during this time. I keep a separate hatcher so I can incubate several different hatch dates at the same time.

If your incubator has a fan, then it should have a vent hole above the fan. This should give enough oxygen for the chicks.

1 person likes this.
  6. mashal

mashal In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Thank u for the advice, i will try not to open it at all at lockdown.
    But i dont have a fan, can this be another reason for them dying
    Or its the humidity problem for sure ???

7. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chirping

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    In a still air incubator, I open all the vent plugs during lockdown. Just keep an eye on humidity and if it drops, close one vent plug at a time. Practice this early in the incubation process to see how well your incubator holds humidity without the vent plugs. Fluctuation in humidity isn't as bad early on in the incubation process.

1 person likes this.

8. mashal

mashal In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Wow i am really shocked how humidity could be that
    big of a problem killing my two batches , that is really
    Sad for me.

9. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chirping

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    Humidity is the only way the eggs can regulate fluid levels inside the egg and chick. Too little and the chick dehydrates. Too much and the chick supersaturates and bloats, giving it less room for the air cell. Low humidity also makes the chick stick to the shell during hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by