Quail Chicks Flying at Me

bloodbiter

Chirping
Mar 4, 2022
everytime i stick my hand down the corner of the brooder to retrieve their water dish or something, my quail chicks (who have lately learned to fly), will come jump-flying at my hand similarly to a roosters attack. they jump claws first into my arms, or run around pecking and twisting at the skin on my hand.

(it doesnt hurt because they are still small, but the sudden flights and *attacks* startle me sometimes and i accidentally pulled my hand out in shock once and startled them, )

is this aggression or curiosity? am i scaring them? will they outgrow this?

I would guess that if you are approaching from above that their response is one of self protection/fear. How large is the brooder? Perhaps they feel trapped and unable to escape.

everytime i stick my hand down the corner of the brooder to retrieve their water dish or something, my quail chicks (who have lately learned to fly), will come jump-flying at my hand similarly to a roosters attack. they jump claws first into my arms, or run around pecking and twisting at the skin on my hand.

(it doesnt hurt because they are still small, but the sudden flights and *attacks* startle me sometimes and i accidentally pulled my hand out in shock once and startled them, )

You say down. So your brooder opens from the top. That will scare the daylights out of most small animals/birds. It does sound like defensive behaviour.

I have a few adults that do this, I don’t know why, even fully grown they don’t break the skin or leave a mark, so I just shoo them away. The ones who do it are almost always males in my case.

I would guess that if you are approaching from above that their response is one of self protection/fear. How large is the brooder? Perhaps they feel trapped and unable to escape.
the brooder is pretty small, but it's temperory.

i try my best to not put my hand over them by sliding it down the corner.
You say down. So your brooder opens from the top. That will scare the daylights out of most small animals/birds. It does sound like defensive behaviour.
alright, makes sense. i cant get an elevated, eye-level brooder right now, but ill be upgrading to a bigger one soon.

Mine do this if they're hungry or thirsty.

update: thanks for all the suggestions! moved them into a better and bigger brooder today!!

edit: they no longer fly at/peck my hands!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom