Quail chicks sick. Please help!!

Karina26

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2022
I hatched some quail chicks 4 days ago and they were all doing perfect but when I got home from work today 4 of them had died. The other chicks all looked pretty lethargic so I took them outside on some grass and they perked up alot but once I put them back in the brooder box they all returned to their lethargic state. A few fall asleep standing up and their heads down. Maybe they're just tired?? I have hatched quail chicks before and I didn't have this problem last time. Can anyone please tell me what's wrong with them?

Could be within the brooder then. Answer these so we can get a better understanding of your setup.

• What bedding are you using?
  • What temperature is the brooder?
  • Has anyone been using paint, aerosols, etc near the brooder?
  • What is the brooder made out of? Plastic, wood etc?

I hatched some quail chicks 4 days ago and they were all doing perfect but when I got home from work today 4 of them had died. The other chicks all looked pretty lethargic so I took them outside on some grass and they perked up alot but once I put them back in the brooder box they all returned to their lethargic state. A few fall asleep standing up and their heads down. Maybe they're just tired?? I have hatched quail chicks before and I didn't have this problem last time. Can anyone please tell me what's wrong with them?
Do they have good ventilation? Could you show a photo of the brooder, and let us know what the temp is?

Could be within the brooder then. Answer these so we can get a better understanding of your setup.

• What bedding are you using?
  • What temperature is the brooder?
  • Has anyone been using paint, aerosols, etc near the brooder?
  • What is the brooder made out of? Plastic, wood etc?
I have used this brooder before and have never had a problem. They seem to be a bit better now, just a bit sleepy. Maybe it was too hot or too cold as today was a bit warmer than lately. Also I had just introduced a new chick that was only lying on its side, and seemed a bit sickly. It was separated but still near the other chicks. Do you think this could have caused a problem. Unfortunately it died aswell.

Last edited:
I have used this brooder before and have never had a problem. They seem to be a bit better now, just a bit sleepy. Maybe it was too hot or too cold as today was a bit warmer than lately
Are you measuring the temperature in the brooder? Do they have enough room to escape the heater? Good ventilation?

Are you measuring the temperature in the brooder? Do they have enough room to escape the heater? Good ventilation?
Yes they can escape the heater and have good ventilation. I edited the last part of that if that's any help. They seem okay now, maybe it did get too hot and they didn't move away etc. If anymore die I will update

5 more have died. I just read a similar post about her quail not eating. I have a feeling they are not eating.

What are you feeding them? Did you sprinkle ground up feed on a paper towel? Have you seen them peck at it?
Im feeding them chick starter. They have pecked at it and I have sprinkled it on the ground. Last time I hatched quails they took to it instantly.

Back
Top Bottom