Quail chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailz101, Mar 7, 2015.

1. quailz101

quailz101 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    So I bought a heat lamp, it's very hot and I plan on using it on 10 baby cotournix quail on a plastic bin with pine shavings, is this fine? How good of an idea is this? Cause I'm scared it's too powerful or start a fire.
    Thxs

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    If your are talking about the full blown heat lamp, its a bad idea..... I use the totes, I have 4 tubs, and 2 identical lids to this one....I can set up the clean tote and just transfer the chicks and slide the lid right over to the clean tote.... but I have only ran old fashion 60 watt bulbs for years and they work perfectly. Honestly 1000's of chicks have been thru this exact tote. You can see in the pick as I need to cool the tote off. I simply fold the towel laying on the screen to expose the 1/2" hardware cloth and allow it to vent. You used to be able to buy "party bulbs" that were red yellow and orange. Since the government saved us from the evil lights, you cant find them much any more. When you can they are 25 watt and thats just too small. A full blown heat bulb with this style of reflector has burnt down more houses, garages, shops and chicken houses over the years than anything else! The spring clamps that come with them should always be promptly thrown away too! Good luck. Bill

[​IMG]

3. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
  4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    That's the way I brood my quail and chickens, both inside the house and out in their cages. They have the opportunity to self regulate their comfort zone and I don't have to worry about the temps inside the brooder. I see so many brooders on the chicken board that look like chicken cookers that it's no surprise when a week later they post a thread "help why are my chicks dieing" Instead of litter I use paper towels because I sprinkle feed on the floor to get them started eating. after several days when I'm convinced they're gonna live it's out to the wire brooder cages and...regular 60w light bulbs.

5. quailz101

Nov 14, 2014
    [​IMG] It's this one, it's 300w is it good? They're a week old now.

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    That's the kind of lamp I use, only with a regular 60w house bulb in it. It'll keep 50 quail chicks warm with no problem.

7. quailz101

Nov 14, 2014
    Ok thanks everyone.

8. jeepster

jeepster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Dallas, Texas area
    Nice set up I am doing something similar, and by that I mean using plastic storage totes as a brooder. I am using wood shavings in the bottom though that way I can add some everyday to cover the poop. I do like the idea of a second tote that is clean so they can be transferred to the new one and the old one cleaned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by