1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail climbing Ramps??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tartannik, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Silly question really but i have hutch/coop that site on top on an enclosed run that i have used for my bantams and silkies before. I though I might get some quail and that hutch might be the thing to use but will they actually go up the ramp at night to go to bed??

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail normally don't use ramps like chickens, however they will hop up steps. I have a similar situation leading from the aviary to their "coop" and use stacked bricks which they use to get into the pop hole.

However this time of year, quail will not wish to sleep in any inside quarters and you will have a hard time getting them in unless you physically put them in one by one. Come winter, they would probably readily use the coop if you experience temps below 20 or so degrees.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'd put them in their & let them sleep where they want.They will probably find the coolest place in the summer & the warmest in the winter. My Bob's have a big pen they live in & all sleep outside in the run. I'm sure this winter they will sleep in the covere[​IMG]d area.

4. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Wow thanks for the picture, i am loving it!
    My quail aren't going to have as much room as i am planning at the minute on only getting 4, just to see how we get on!
    I might just have to think the ramp hutch though as i live in Scotland and they really don't want to be sleeping outside in our climate!!
    Thanks for the adive twocrowsfarm and 7L Farm!

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    OK. I'm still quite sure the birds will figure out where they need to be.They can hop are fly to their destination .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by