Quail coop help??

First of all, let me point out that right now, you have 3 quail... but in 6 months, you're going to have more... either on purpose or whatever, but one day you're going to wake up and say... I need more quail. And next thing you now, you've got 60+ birds. And you're still going to want more. Trust me.

Also, you need to add more information as to the type of quail you need housing for.... coturnix, bobwhite, or button quail.

If they are Coturnix, 24" x 24" would be adequate. I know everyone says, "they only need 1 square foot per bird", but humans need anywhere from 60 - 100 square feet per person to survive, and I'm guessing that nobody on this forum lives an a house/apartment that fits this bill. Plus, refer back to my statement about wanting more quail, and you'll be glad you initially built enough room. I'm sure you don't want your quail feeling like a prisoner, and a little more room wouldn't hurt. Your quail would be quite comfortable in a cage this size.

If they are Bobwhite or some other new world quail, I'm not "quailified" / educated enough to recommend a cage size for them.

James

Well I don't want a lot lol I just wanted some as pets and the eggs I wanted to try some what's the smallest breed of quail?? Or a medium size haha. I'm good with my chickens lol

Coturnix are best for beginners. especially people coming from chickens. Chickens are walking disease baskets so keep them away from your quail and wash your hands in between handling them or switch gloves.

P.S. Several years ago I only wanted a few quail. Fast forward and I've been downsizing heavily to get down to 30 hens.

I liked the mountain quail but I don't think I'd be able to find them around me, and also button quail and the coturix quail

Mountain Quail

Even though I have never seen these, I am pretty sure that the Mountain Quail would need more room than your common Jap.

When you say Coturnix quail, I assume you mean Coturnix japonica. There are a total of 8 different species of Coturnix Quail, and they are very very different. I, myself, breed 4 different Coturnix species. One of which is the Coturnix chinesis, which I am guessing you mean to be the 'button', even though that isn't a good name for them, as the proper 'ButtonQuail' is very very rare, fetching hundreds of dollars per bird, while being completely unrelated to what you would be thinking of. There are 11 species of ButtonQuail (Turnix).

Coturnix japonica (or simply Jap Quail or Jumbo Quail), would only need a small hutch. Even the small triangle Guinea Pig hutches would fit 5-6 easily (depending on size, of course).

Coturnix chinesis would also fit a pair or trio into the same sized hutch.

A proper ButtonQuail would need a lot more room, probably a good sized aviary.

Button Quail (Barred)

Coturnix chinesis (Male). More commonly referred to as the King Quail, and for some reason in America the 'button' Quail, sometimes (even though they are not button quails, and far from it).

Coturnix can get by on 1 sq ft per bird, bob whites need around 4 sq ft., Button quail can get by in smaller spaces however I'd recommend giving a pair of buttons at least 2.5-3 sq ft. To appreciate the color patterns of them I keep each pair in a 25-30 gallon aquarium. When I was a youngster I raised a pair of buttons in a cheap pet store finch cage (about 16"x16") and they did just fine, they even hatched their own babies in it but when I look at pictures of it now it looks small and cramped. Mountain quail you'd want to keep in a an aviary or something really spacious, unless its just a pet, they are one of the hardest quail species to get to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom