Quail coop question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silentrunning, Apr 3, 2009.

1. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    I am almost done with my Quail coop. As with most of my pens & coops it was made from freebies that I picked up. The outside frame is a park bench someone was getting rid of. The 2X4s came from work and were part of a large packing crate for machinery. All I bought was the drywall screws, hardware cloth and 1 sheet of plywood.

My question is - do I need to put a nesting box in there for the quail? I am cutting some Oak branches for them to stand on and hide under. I will have straw or hay on one side for them to nest, but my wife thinks they may need a box. This is my first venture with quail so I am clueless. Doug

[​IMG]

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    what kind of quail are you getting? Quail will just lay there eggs right on the wire no nest needed..

3. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Two look like button quail, 2 look like the button but are darker and one looks like a Bob White. I have them in a giant bird cage in the house right now, but the tend to stink after 1 day of not cleaning.

Doug

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by