Quail coop...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Warwick29, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Warwick29

Warwick29 New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    Hi, I am new to poultry and I am planning on keeping some quails as they are small and inexpensive. the breed I am interested in is King Quails, are these quails hardy when it comes to hot and cold weather? I live in NSW Australia and it can get below freezing in winter and we'll over 30 degrees Celsius in summer. Will these quails be ok in a standard chicken coop or is insulation required. I have also read that quails prefer to nest on the ground and that a chicken Coop with a ramp leading to the nesting/ sleeping area is not a good idea... Is this true?

2. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    king quail live in territorial monogamous pairs, not groups. You could keep them in a cage.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If by king quail you mean cbbq or button quail, then you will have a lot of work ahead of you housing them outside. FIrst as was mentioned before they do the best in pairs. Second the climate they originate from maintains between 40-85 degrees F. So during winter you would need to provide heat sources for each pair. The other problem I see keeping them in a chicken coop is their size. Do you think you can keep a hamster or a small rat in there and it not be able to get out? Button quail are about the size of a hamster and if there is hole they will find it.. Coturnix quail (Japanese quail) would be much better suited to what you are trying do.

4. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I agree.

Coturnix are great birds, you'll have a ball with coturnix.

I wanted King quail since they are so cute, but I read up on them & realized again - nope.

I'd have to separate them into pairs... what if I got left with one on its own after they hatched & were split into pairs.... they needed heat.... I couldn't eat them etc

Since I got the Coturnix, I never looked back. Thy are larger friendly birds with different colors. They talk to you if you go outside & rush up to the wire & the door if you open it. Ours make no fuss about being picked up & they are large enough that you don't feel like you may accidentally kill them. Mine are too heavy to fly off.

I had king quail when I was a kid (didn't know much about them then) & I'm warning you, my experience was terrible & I still feel guilty. I had a monogamous pair given to me. One day my younger brother went into my room & opened the cage. One of my Buttons flew out of the window.. So my grandfather bought me a new one which the other one then wouldn't take to. So I then had 2 quail in separate cages. It took a while, but I eventually got them together in the same cage.

One day I put them outside in their cage lid for a scratch & peck & my brother ran across the garden & booted the cage lid off. So I lost another quail over the wall & the last poor little button flew into the fence. I caught her, but I couldn't persuade my grandfather to get me anymore, so I had just one sad little quail which I spent as much time with as possible, but she was never happy after that. Then another day (again!) my brother snook into my room & put the poor quail in with the gerbils & the gerbils killed it & my brother laughed.

Yes, my younger brother is braindamaged, but my mum always mollycoddled him because of that & he grew into a nightmare with no thoughts for his actions or others feelings. [​IMG]

Never mollycoddle a child just because there is something wrong with it, it will just turn bad like a normal child would.

My dad was very annoyed with my brother & fitted a lock & key on my bedroom door after that since I kept a lot of my pets in there & my dad knew what a horrible little belt my brother was.
    So I was able to lock my door... too late.

So glad when I moved out.

If I had them again though, they would be indoors in a cage.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  5. Warwick29

Warwick29 New Egg

Jan 21, 2014
    Thanks for the advise :), I decided on coturnix and bought two 3 week old females. One is golden and the other is the wild brown form, they get along very well and are very cute together :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by