Quail + Crayfish = Dinner (Or: Other Uses for Poultry Innards)

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Missouri
This is an add-on to one of the quail posts. Since we already hijacked the post once to talk about Alaska I figured I'd make a second thread rather than hijack it again
smile.png

I'm too far away from the ocean to get real shrimp, and a lot of our creeks are polluted out here (the ones that aren't are seriously over-fished). In addition, I have a 55 gallon long aquarium that needs something inside of it.

Has anyone tried raising crayfish/panfish for a "free" dinner using poultry innards?

Does anyone have any uses for their innards besides the compost heap or bait?

gig.gif

We sure did hijack that thread, didn't we?

Honestly, I don't know what else to do with them. Our neighbor asks for the organs and such to be saved for his sled dogs, but, um, well, I don't think you have many sled-dog owners there, do you?
sad.png

I think I hijacked it the worst..
tongue.png

Is it "safe" to feed your dogs the innards? Do you cook them first? Are there innards you can't feed the dogs?

I'm curious because although I don't have sled dogs, I have several dogs and they may enjoy this treat..

-Kim

I would cook them first... I don't know what the neighbors do. The dogs love giblets chopped up in their food...
smile.png

Crawfish are hard to raise....they need a lot of space! Otherwise the little suckers sit there and eat one another soon as one goes into molt. I tried the pet crawfish thing and it was enough to make me not try it again.

I read about the space issue. I was hoping that with enough rocks to hide under and enough food scattered about that they wouldn't be as prone to eating one another. I caught a dozen of varying sizes living in a clump of branches. Plus a 55 long kinda gives a lot of room, and can give even more if you create hills out of gravel.

If nothing else I suppose they'll be fun to have around. Even if we end up getting a fraction of a single meal after eight weeks.

If only it were as easy to raise lobster in the midwest as it is to raise chickens.

Back
Top Bottom