Quail died from infected???? wing injury. How to treat the injury properly in the future?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
One of my three female quail got an injury down to the bone in the wing elbow. We treated it with what we knew how to. We didn't know anything about treating a joint injury like that. At first it looked like it was healing fine but as time passed, I noticed this clear liquid kept pushing the scabbing off and reopening the wound. She was also no longer able to open the elbow joint either. If we tried to gently flex it open, the liquid would push through the scab. She'd also dislocated her leg somehow in the cage, but that was easily fixed. But just a few days later, she started spazzing out and died in the end. The leg was doing good, so we could only assumed it was something to do with her original injury. So how can I prevent, or treat that kinda injury in the future.

Sorry, but I don't have any pics of it. Didn't think to get any?

With injuries, it’s best to separate if possible and gently clean the wound and apply neosporin (without pain control) or blue-Kote. Sometimes an injury like in the joint of the wing can be bandaged with vetwrap to limit movement during healing. Depending on the severity of the injury, sometimes even with the best treatment, they don’t recover and/or need to be culled. Pictures can be helpful if you need advice moving forward. But those are a few good items to keep around in case of an injury. Other items to keep handy would be electrolytes (sav-a-chick) and either nutridrench or rooster booster.

While I don't have quail, the few penetrating injuries my birds have suffered which weren't immediately fatal (and delivered by my hand, with my butcher's knife) have all been effectively treated by Neosporin. It actually has three active ingredients, there isn't much that's resistant to all three of its major components. Important that would care includes a good cleaning of course, then Neosporin, and (in all my cases) treatment as an open, draining wound.

and keep the injured bird away from others who might pick on it, and from sources of secondary infection - meaning a quarantine cage or the like you can keep clean.

With injuries, it’s best to separate if possible and gently clean the wound and apply neosporin (without pain control) or blue-Kote. Sometimes an injury like in the joint of the wing can be bandaged with vetwrap to limit movement during healing. Depending on the severity of the injury, sometimes even with the best treatment, they don’t recover and/or need to be culled. Pictures can be helpful if you need advice moving forward. But those are a few good items to keep around in case of an injury. Other items to keep handy would be electrolytes (sav-a-chick) and either nutridrench or rooster booster.
We used that stuff. It did no good. How do you wrap a wing??
While I don't have quail, the few penetrating injuries my birds have suffered which weren't immediately fatal (and delivered by my hand, with my butcher's knife) have all been effectively treated by Neosporin. It actually has three active ingredients, there isn't much that's resistant to all three of its major components. Important that would care includes a good cleaning of course, then Neosporin, and (in all my cases) treatment as an open, draining wound.

and keep the injured bird away from others who might pick on it, and from sources of secondary infection - meaning a quarantine cage or the like you can keep clean.
We learned to separate injured quail immediately because unlike most chickens with tiny injuries, quail will peck! Even with blue kote. Our male that got injured at the day before the one that died only had a small peck that we treated and put back in. To our surprise, the next morning it was a gaping skinning wound on the back of the head. Unlike the female, he recovered nicely after being taken inside. The female was also taken inside because we saw her original injury was already bad upon discovery. We treated her with blue kote after cleaning and kept her separate inside to. She did well for a few days before I noticed the clear liquid. From then that clear liquid never went away. We had decided it would be best to cull her, and I was going to, just before she did it herself.....

Having animals is a learning experience for sure. Even if it, unfortunately, learned the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom