quail differences?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Oct 4, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I've had coturnix quail for most of a year now, have raised them up from hatching eggs and set my own eggs. I was thinking about adding bobs to my barn next year, but my friend beat me to it and dropped off a trio. What is different between them and coturnix... I know they need more space, and are a bit on the loopy side... i've read that some times they will take to a trio, other times only a pair...So far no fighting, i think these guys aren't full grown yet. They take a heck of a lot longer to grow and mature, and are seasonal layers....So other then that are there any glaring differences in how to keep them healthy and happy?

Thanks

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    both types LOVE GBS....that said...there are HUGE differances in bobs and cottys. keep them separate, unless you plan to mix the 2 for a crazy bob-cotty bird. in which case search forums before you do so....anywa

bobs need a whole lot more space then coturnix. they can get quite aggressive...even in ALOT of space, make sure there is some cover for them... evergreen branches work very well for this. when the season comes around your bobs will have to be set in pairs...trio at MOST but most breeders just keep to pairs.

hope some of it helps, will chime back in later when its not to late....so tired D:

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    I have read (only) how diff the 2 types are .Last week I got 9 A&M and 13 Jumbo Bobs all about 1 1/2 Y old.All raised in 2 seperate cages aprox 3x6 next to each other all Bobs in one A&M in other.Hatched from eggs on farm.First thing I said was those bobs are so calm and Aggies so wild .Lady (owner) said your right they always been that way.Not the way I've always been told they are..Got them home went ahead and caged them came way.Had them about a week now and when I walk up to there Cages, side by side the Bobs look at me and go about there routine and the A&M start bouncing off the walls.????????Go Figger it...cva34
    When things change I'll let you know!!!

4. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i was going with the loopy description because i've always heard they were flighty, my coturnix come up to me all the time, the bobs freak out and bang them selves off of things and just generally speaking its a bad thing, they've calmed marginally, but by that i mean they will huddle in the corner while i clean and what not...

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:It's the same for me.

The Coturnix are like puppy dogs, and the bobs were always very wild.

6. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:It's the same for me.

The Coturnix are like puppy dogs, and the bobs were always very wild.

i have one coturnix that is by herself, she was bad, and she is so good with me, i'll open her little coop and she will come running and stop at the door and stare at me, she lets me pick her up and she'll just sit in my hand, i don't even have to hold her down.

7. Frankallen

Frankallen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Alabama
    I would get tired of writing, to be able to tell you the difference between the 2 Birds...Just do some reading on here with searches, there are lots of valuable information. One thing for
    sure, you can colony breed Bobwhites. They DO NOT have to be put in pairs or trios...I raised a lot of Northern Bobwhites way back in the 70's and bred all of them by "Colony Breeding" them.[​IMG]

Also think of the two birds like this: The Jap Quail has been domesticated for thousands of years. The Bowhite has only been bred in the last100- 200 years?

Frank

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  8. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:i 2nd this, many people keep them in colony, pairs, and trios.

9. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i guess my main interest is if their dietary and basic needs are any different... the gamebird starter works for both so i guess i've got it covered. that and more space. i'll keep sifting and keep on it. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by