QUAIL DILEMA...need opinions

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
Not sure if I spelled that right lol....but I have a question for everyone. As many of you know I own/breed Jumbo BROWN cortunix. I'm also currently expanding into creating my own Jumbo BLACK cortunix quail. I'm currently thinking about downsizing my number of Jumbo BROWN breeders and breeding an even number of...

Jumbo Brown, Black, and Golden.

Just to get more variety and color. I just want to know what some of you...customers and future customers think. Is it more appealing to have a variety of colors or just focuss on the one or two colorations?
Thanks all!
big_smile.png

I really dont care what color mine are only how well they lay and how big they are. I got them in the basement. I am planing on breeding for even bigger size , maybe up to 18oz and lots of eggs. I marked the chicks from the big eggs.

ETA its spelled Coturnix

Last edited:
I think that's a great idea! Then customers could pick what color they wanted or get a mixture of colors, and know what they're getting. I will deffiently be a returning customer!

I know it is spelled Coturnix..Im just use to spelling it CORTUNIX....not sure why but I have seen it both ways.
If I do decide to do 3 colorations...I would probably only have 7-8 breeders of each coloration. So 24-25 birds total.
Still a good idea?
smile.png

Quote:
Well that would depend on you, how much space you have, etc. Quail aren't that big, so would it be possible for you to build another pen for the seperate breeds, without have to get rid of any?

I dont...really have the money now to build another pen....But I could always have the Jumbo Browns and Goldens in the same pen...and have the Jumbo BLACKS ina new one.
That might work!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Sounds good to me. Just do what works for you! When the browns and goldens mate will they produce pure breds or mixed? I would love some golden and blacks, I got all brown this hatch, but they are growing so fast!

Back
Top Bottom