Quail disease killed guinea?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PortugalBreeder, Jun 6, 2011.

1. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Bought two guinea keets yesterday morning and put them in the quail pen because they could pass trough the big pen net holes. This technique worked fine with ducklings before, because the quail taught them were the feed was, how to work the water nipples and in a week they were ready for the big pen.
    BUT, today by the morning one of the guineas were very debilitated I fed it by hand, but 10 minutes ago found it dead, the other one is very active and good looking so I risked put it in the pen anyway to prevent the same to happen.
    As quail and guinea are both games I never though it would be a problem, is there any disease that quail carry and can produce this effects?
    Just for the record, I never saw them eat, but I though it was because they were skittish since when I was looking they were in the corner.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    More Likely The Guineas Are Sick And Have Now Contaminated Your Quail.... Most Cases This Is How It Happens [​IMG]

The Only Illness I Know Of Readily That Can Be In Quail And Passed To Other Birds Would Be Mycoplasma(non Speces Specific And Prolific) Or New Castles... In Some Parts Of The World Quail Can Be Carriers And Infect Other Poultry With New Castles Disease Tho This Is Uncommon... As Stated Its Usually The Other Way Around

3. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Man that is very bad!

4. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yessir It Certainly Can Be. I Hope I Am Wrong But If I Am Not It May Well Get Ugly

5. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I'm buying cresol tomorrow morning and will be cleaning day.
    Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wish You The Best On It...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by