Quail Doctor in the house? Nasty lookin quail head

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BrownChickenBrownCow, Nov 14, 2011.

1. BrownChickenBrownCow

BrownChickenBrownCow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Ok...
    I talked about this lil guy in another post...he had a head wound that is healing up, but he kept scratching at his eye...which actually is looking better now. He is quite healthy acting, but he looks BAD. I thought it may have been the dreaded coryza as I have chickens also...but I have not noted any swelling around nose area or discharge. (The other side of his head...eye looks fine, and otherwise normal). Plus he most certainly would have been dead by now with the rest of my flock infected, which hasn't happened. This has been going on for about 5-6 days I suppose. Anyway, I have attached some pictures...the first one is from last week when I first found him in the morning all beat up looking. The other two are from today....the thing is...the skin on his head is turning green....about the color copper turns as it oxidizes over time. So what's going on with him? Like Mr. Gimpy legs from my other post, he is full of spunk and doesn't seem to know he is all effed up! [​IMG] (BTW, Mr. Gimpy legs was DELICIOUS! Sorry pet keepers...couldn't resist).
    Thanks in advance
    Wise
    Last week
    [​IMG]
    This evenin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrownChickenBrownCow

Apr 9, 2011
    That last picture...it does look to be some swelling in front of his eye. I did not notice that when I was checking him out earlier. May be the picture...or it may be swollen if that makes a difference in diagnosis.

Thanks agian
    Wise

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The swelling actually looks like scar tissue. Are you putting any neosporin on his head? He has some kind of infection somewhere (based on the green skin) so I'd say he needs an antibiotic. The swelling is probably caused by the infection on his head.

Sorry, just noticed I am contradicting myself. Most of the 'swelling' around the upper part of the eye looks like scar tissue. The part in the front of the eye that looks swollen is probably related to the infection under the skin on the top of his head, evidenced by the green skin.

I'm not sure what types of antibiotics are okay to use on quail, or which ones would help with a subcutaneous infection, so hopefully quaillady will get back online over on Facebook and get her booty over here like I told her [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I agree. But first get some hydrogen peroxide dabbed on there before the neosporin treatment.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I agree. But first get some hydrogen peroxide dabbed on there before the neosporin treatment.

Would that help with the wound being closed? I'm thinking he needs something along the lines of penicillin (if he were human) but don't know what that would be in birds.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
  7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You can get all sorts of antibiotics at the feed stores: Terramycin, Aeromycin, Tylan injectible, and I'm sure there are more. Which would work for an internal infection?

8. BrownChickenBrownCow

Apr 9, 2011
    Great information ladies. Thank you very much!

I have not given him or put anything on him. Only put him in the "infirmary". He eats and drinks and acts normal.
    I have a small local feed store closeby, and a Tractor Supply not too far. I'll check tomorrow. What would be first choice?

Thanks again!

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Terramycin is good for internal infection, tylan is as well.

10. BrownChickenBrownCow

Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks! I will check it out tomorrow.
    I also just found a picture from the first day...it was last Thursday. The first picture above is from Saturday. I will post the actual day 1 picture in the morning when I get to the office. Can't upload pics to this site from my iPad or iPhone. [​IMG]. But he looks much worse now than the Thursday pic. Had more head feathers, no green, and his eye was red and irritated...big time and he kept scratching at it.
    Thanks again!
    Wise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by