Quail don’t seem happy

Nov 28, 2017
UK
I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong for them? I’m not enjoying them and they’re not enjoying me. I’m considering if they are right for me and keep concluding they’re not but I want to persevere. They have 16sqft between 6 of them. They’re all Coturnix hens. About 4 months old.

They laid the first week. No eggs since. They’ve had a light in for a little over a week which brings their light exposure to 14-15 hrs. No eggs still. They did have an 18hr light at their previous home. All they’ve done since buying them is fight. There’s always feathers all over the floor. But I don’t understand why? They have high protein feed and I don’t believe that’s an issue. Nor do I believe it’s the space, I’ve watched videos where there are 2 or 3 times as many quail in the area these have and theirs lay and get on fine. I don’t think it’s the light as they were the same for the 3 weeks before it’s installation. They’re skittish and unfriendly, I only want them as they should be simple pets and lay a good amount of small eggs, but that’s not the case.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you giving them some sort of calcium source? If the had a cock with them maybe they'd be happier, I don't know :idunno

They have fine oyster shell and chick crumb. I bought a small bag of layers pellets, I give them some in a morning before the crumb, I’ll be buying a big bag of layers once the crumb runs out. They had males running with them but I didn’t know that makes them happier. I’d be willing to try one if he will sort their behaviour out.

Back
Top Bottom