1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail eating the sand in their sandbox?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lostquail, Nov 16, 2010.

1. lostquail

lostquail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    I put a "sandbox" of sorts in with my bobwhites for them to take dustbaths in but so far they only seem to be eating it. They'll scratch around a bit but for the most part they just gobble it up as if it were their food, although there's no food in it, just regular "all purpose" sand I got from home depot. Is this harmful to them? Should I use something else instead of the sand they have in there now?

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    It is normal. It is good for them.

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    What state do you live in?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sand is grit, perfectly normal [​IMG]

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    They will eat some of it. If they were eating huge amounts then I might be concerned. I'd toss in a bit of poultry grit (maybe mix in a tablespoon or two). I do that for my coturnix. They pick out what they want.

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Like others have said, it's a natural part of their dietary habits. I keep sand boxes in all of my Bob pens year round, and they eat about as much as they kick out when bathing in it.........and they couldn't be any healthier, I don't think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by