quail egg call/sounds?

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Do coturnix quail make any certain sounds before they lay an egg or before they are about to? Ive read some on it but not sure what sound people are referring to

If so... can someone post the sound... or link to a page that has the sound for an egg call????

0.jpg

here you go! this is one of my hens laying. i have several that do this. some just lay and walk off, others make this cry, some of them try to sit the eggs. each is different, but i hope this helps!

0.jpg

here you go! this is one of my hens laying. i have several that do this. some just lay and walk off, others make this cry, some of them try to sit the eggs. each is different, but i hope this helps!
that's great that you captured that sound. Some of mine do that, too.

0.jpg

Mine have never made that sound that I have seen!! NEVER! Thats why I was wondering... Thats the same sound that I saw on another youtube post as an egg call. I just wanted to verify it. But yeah, I'm not getting any sounds out of my hens..

Quote: Some of my roos will be blasting away, then when I walk into the garage, they simmer down. The same thing may be happening to your hens.
Sammit, Kudos for capturing that "cry".
There is another strange sound that my quail made when they were only days old. I noticed it mostly when they were sleeping. I would sneak up and peek into the brooder to check on them, and one would have a distinct "peep" (as if it were the sentry on guard), and they would all wake up and sprint in every direction of the brooder. I would sit there and crack up laughing every time it happened.
Sniper, you may want to vent check your hens. Like I mentioned in the PM I sent about my hens, yours may actually be roos laying low.
James

[quote
Sniper, you may want to vent check your hens.  Like I mentioned in the PM I sent about my hens, yours may actually be roos laying low.
James
[/quote]

Is that possible when they are all seemed to be compelety plumed out with their full feathers? I mean mine are very distinct in colors... roos are rusty and hens and golden with black specks....

Last edited:
Mine were all checked by the breeder, and they all lay eggs. Some make that sound and usually right before they lay or right after. Like they are proud and need to tell the world. I have heard the crow sound on you-tube but none of mine do that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom