Quail Egg Color

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cva34, Feb 5, 2012.

1. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Saw some Quail (supposed to be Tex A&M ) bout a year old.They were 99.9% white with a black feather or 2 on the head of some .Also had black mark (streak) on there bill on some.There were a few eggs in there pure white .and really pointy on small end .Eggs small and birds weighed 5 to 7 oz. What Breed ?????.....cva34

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    5-7oz definitely doesn't sound like A&M's, sounds like regular English whites, jumbo's(or A&M) should be 12oz or more.

as far as the all white eggs, probably just mess ups. they should look like regular cot eggs.

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I wouldnt buy from anyone that is trying to pass English Whites off as A&M, been there done that, a guy sold me some and said they were A&M and of course not knowing any better I bought them and they were english whites.

If you are just looking for egg layers or a small meal the EW will do but if not hold out for some Texas A&M's

4. cva34

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    What Quail lay the above described egg ??????????

5. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    The description of the eggs sounds like a bobwhite. I have white bobwhites. They are pure white with no stray colored markings, however they do have the black streaks on their beaks. Also, my white bobs are at least 10oz or more as adults.

6. cva34

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    I tend to agree with you ..But I have BW and there eggs are shaped like a Chicken egg ,just smaller.
    These are shaped more like a Guinee egg just smaller.And exactly same as BW color pure cream white .They do not Whistle like a BW .They sound (crow) like Cots THX....cva34

7. millebantam

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Many of my bobs lay the pointed, turkey-like eggs that you describe. I think the shapes of eggs tend to wander around in shape and size with different genetic lines, and color variations. However, if it crows like a cot, and lays white eggs, could this be the elusive "bob-bird"?

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SPEAKING OF "MAKE IT STOP!"

[​IMG]

9. millebantam

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Another non-believer, lol. They do exist. I read it on the internet.

10. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I hope so, I ordered some Bob-Birds eggs for $2 each from a guy on Craigslist that sells them, if he ripped me off I will be so ******

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by