Quail egg cooling off period should i?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nadrojsack, Feb 1, 2015.

1. nadrojsack

nadrojsack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    hi there ive got 44 quail eggs in my brinsea oct advance ext, should i start my cooling of period, has anyone done this with what results?
    im 7 days in which is where apparently i should start cooling off period.

any help or advice would be excellent. thankyou
    [​IMG]

2. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    For anyone who is interested my settings are.
    37.7 degrees Celsius
    45% humidity

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't recommend any cool off periods during incubation especially at 7 days. You are only going to delay your hatch or cause some of them to not hatch at all. Some people will drop the temp a half a degree during lock down or when they are hatching. I have never tried it.

4. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    Twocrows, thankyou for the recommendation, may i ask if you have tested the cooling off period? regards

5. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is a link from our forum on the subject. I couldn't find anything on the 'net about the benefits of a cool down period. Some of us have "unintentionally" lowered the temps from a power outage, but nobody has actually turned around and reported that they had an increase in hatch rate due to their power outage.
    If you do try this, let us know how things turn out.
    James

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious, what's the point? If we already get 90% and better hatches without it, why add this cooling off period? Where is the research that shows it's purpose and effectiveness? I would be concerned about how cooling the eggs as such could affect the hardness of the inner membrane. Most us stick to the age old numbers that have, not only our own positive results as evidence, but many thousands of pages of scientific evidence as well. Not saying it doesn't work well I'm just curious as to why the extra step would be worth the time?

7. nadrojsack

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    41 out of 44 eggs floated as i go into lockdown, no cooling off period needed i think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by