Quail egg laying.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quails-101, Jun 24, 2016.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Can the same quail lay an egg in the evening and lay one again in early morning. I only have 6 quail in a big cage because they are my show quail and they are staying as clean as possible but there was 4 eggs at night 2 eggs this morning does that mean all 6quail are female. I don't how to tell if they are boys or girls because they are young and not in mating season yet but I know all the other male and female because mating season.

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Are these wild colored coturnix? If so, you can almost always sex them by color if they are old enough to lay eggs.
    As far as I know, sometimes coturnix will lay as much as an egg every 18 hours, but every 24 hours is more common. So if you collected eggs in the morning and didn't look again till the evening when you found 4, I'd say you most likely have at least 4 females, but as they could have laid their eggs right after your morning check and laid again before your morning check the next day, I don'l think you can conclude more than that from the number of eggs.

3. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    If they are old enough to lay eggs you should easily be able to sex them by color and behavior?

4. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    Oh I either wait and see if there droppings has that foam on it or their call they make, or if I catch them laying there eggs. I don,t really know how to sex by color.

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    If they are wild colored, the females have spots on their chest and the males have a slight rust red tint to their breast feathers.

6. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    They are tuxedo quail I will post a picture of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by