Quail Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by madcobirds, Oct 11, 2013.

1. madcobirds

madcobirds New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    Have just started raising some Cortunix Quail and had real good egg production up until a couple of weeks ago. I put up a light on a timer to give them about 15 or so hours of light, I have not seen any improvement in production. Could it be temperature? It is getting into the high 40's low 50's here at night.( central VA)

2. Julbrod

Julbrod Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Berks County, PA
    I don't think so as I'm in Central Pa with similar weather. Do they need a calcium source such as crushed egg shells or oyster shells?

3. Bill g

Bill g Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    I have some bobs that just started laying we are in kentucky with about the same temps. I have 14 hours of light on them and they are outside.

4. Weirdness555

Weirdness555 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Set it to 14 hours, it's possible that 15 hours is too much? (I'm thinking not likely, but worth a try) How old are they? It's also possible that they are moulting, any sign of that? If so then they should start laying when they come out of the moult.

5. Bill g

Bill g Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Mine are 26 weeks. Not sure if 15 would be to much.

6. madcobirds

madcobirds New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    As a matter of fact they do look like they are molting, I took the advice of the oyster shell grit, And I did get one egg yesterday! Thanks for the advice from everyone!

7. havensteinjohn

havensteinjohn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    I am new to Cortunix as well. I put a light on mine for 14-15 hours a day. I noticed a took a good week or so to get them back into laying mode, I think it takes a while for their bodies to adjust. I filled my incubator and shut the light off a week ago, and they are still cranking the eggs out.

8. Weirdness555

Weirdness555 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Yeah, I thought that the too much light might be unlikely, but I know too much light can affect their laying badly if they're not used to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by