Quail egg moving

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ace13, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Ace13

Ace13 Hatching

Jun 13, 2019
    Its been day 15 and my quails egg are moving frequently like a lot, is there anything that i have to be worried about.

2. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    I wouldn't worry about it it's normal at that stage of incubation.

Mine started little movements just before day 15. As long as you have stopped turing the eggs and have increased humidity everything should be okay :)

After you've candled (if you haven't already done that and started lockdown) don't open the incubator anymore until the chicks have hatched.

3. Ace13

Ace13 Hatching

Jun 13, 2019
    Thanks a lot. Now my quail started pipping a hole, how long does it take after pipping to hatch.

4. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    It can vary. Mine took around 24 hours after they made the very first crack in the shell.

They sat pipped for quite a few hours and only towards the end of that time they started zipping. Once they've started zipping they tend to just pop out!

Leave them all in the incubator until they are dry and fluffy. They can live off their absorbed yolk for a couple of days without eating/drinking.

Once they are out of the incubator in their brooder provide food and water, show them where it is. Make sure the water dish isn't deep or that they can get stuck in it or they can drown. I used a shallow milk bottle top which worked fine.

Don't open the incubator until you know that there is no other chicks pipping or going through the zipping process :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: