Quail egg questions: Size? Cartons?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by violamama, Mar 21, 2016.

1. violamama

violamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon
    Hey again quail people.

So, we found what was (for us) a super big egg today. It won't even fit in our quail egg carton. Our ladies have been laying all of one week, so forgive my newbie questions.

1. What is a standard quail egg size to expect? Most of ours were 11-12 grams but this huge one was over 17.

2. Is there a big difference in egg size in jumbo vs standard?

4. Do we need to buy special jumbo quail egg cartons?

Bonus question: Do your quail make a sound like a tiny incoming firework when they lay? Because ours do and I think it's hilarious. Bombs away!

[​IMG]

2. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    Nah wont be much size difference in egg size. That one is just a double yolk some hens lay those pretty normally or i had one that did.

3. violamama

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon
    Okay, thanks! Can't wait to open this one.

Where do you recommend for buying cartons? Or how do you store yours? We probably need some cartons for giving to friends.

4. cmobley

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    I just ordered mine off ebay the little clear plastic dozen egg holders. They have 3 little tits on the front that snap closed not the cheapos that have to be stapled.

5. violamama

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon

I'll look for that. We bought some quail eggs a while back to eat and they came in a tri-fold carton. Seemed especially safe, but it barely fits our girls' eggs. I'll look for the ones you mentioned. Thanks!

6. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    I just ordered these:
    http://www.eggcartons.com/Plastic-Quail-Egg-Carton-18-Pack-Cup-Top-p/pleg-18qct-1.htm

And my eggs, most of which weigh 13 - 15 grams fit fine in them.
    If you order 50 count flats you'll need to get the Chukar flats for the eggs to fit securely in them.

7. cmobley

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    Looks like what i use. I ordered some first that were paper thin clear plastic they were horrible. But ive dropped my thick plastic ones with eggs in them and no damage.

8. drdrums

drdrums New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Here's what we wound up getting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111683199832

Hopefully they fit our eggs!

I was contemplating ordering something like this direct from China via Alibaba, but minimum order would have been 1000. I still might get that quantity, and then sell off some of the stock (anyone interested in going in on a bulk order?).

9. violamama

Feb 6, 2016
    NW Oregon

This guy's my dh. :) pretty lucky to have married a dude with a chicken suit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by