Quail egg trays! Serendipitous discovery...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iamcuriositycat, May 15, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Messing around in our cluttered & overstuffed basement this afternoon, my eye caught the edge of something in a plastic bag and I took a look. It was white plastic shelving from an under-sink shelving system that we stopped using because the toddler kept disassembling it and taking the pieces all over the house. It was awaiting a yard sale or goodwill or a future date when the toddler is a little less... toddlerish.

But what I noticed this time is that the drainage holes in each piece of shelf are just the right size to hold a quail egg upright. I pulled them upstairs, cleaned them up and--voila!--quail hatching trays (and refrigerator quail egg storage trays). We have nine of them, and each one holds 20 eggs. They fit neatly against each other in the refrigerator, and are nice and compact. I'm so excited!

Wish I knew where we had gotten them or what the brand was, so I could recommend them for others. If I do see them again while out shopping, I'll post the brand.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Awesome I love finding new uses for things....

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Congrats!! Now, please come find my coffee.........been checking on my bator and my new chicks, and forgot where I put it.......LOL

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sweet! Dont Ya Love It When A Plan Comes Togather? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by