Quail egg turning by hand?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by buttercup95, Aug 10, 2013.

1. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    So I started incubating this week and I don't have a quail egg turner so I decided to do it by hand. My question is how do I get them to stop rolling around? I turn them and then it seems like they just roll back in to place... I'm getting frustrated and I know the rolling can't be god for the egg.

2. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    we used that shelf liner stuff thats like foam.. they stay in place pretty well & its only like $2 a roll at walmart :)

1 person likes this.
  3. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    hmm shelf liner stuff? well I'll have to look for it. :) thank you very much!

4. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]'
    We use it in the hatcher too.. The purple stuff in there..it has a name, I just cant remember :)

1 person likes this.
  5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    it is Rubbermaid non slip shelf liner and is sold at Walmart in the household goods area by the pots and pans. It works well as a liner in the cages too and if you have a couple cut to fit you can take the soiled one out and put in a clean one right away. they wash in the machine or tub or sink. super easy to use. I use it in the brooders too.

1 person likes this.
  6. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Awesome! thank you all so much. I'm going to have to go pick some up as soon as I can! Also your chick is adorable and that's a fantastic photo even if the chick is all goopy from just hatching.
    [​IMG]

7. Nichrome

Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Allow me to remind you to turn your egg an odd number of times a day (ex, 3 times, 5 times or 7 times) so you will prevent them from spending the long night period on the same side.

8. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I turn them again at midnight and I'm up at 7 so I don't think I have to worry. But thank you I hadn't realized that before! I keep a note pad next to the incubator so I don't forget what time I turned them. [​IMG]

9. Nichrome

Nichrome Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    I use a parking clock, just like those you put on the windshield of your car :)

[​IMG]

10. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    bwuahahaha I didn't even know those existed. I live in a really rural area I only know of like three places with metered parking...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by