Quail eggs - Day 20 - hatch over - smelly

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CountryMom, Jul 31, 2008.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, we are about to hatch our second round this year. This will be our first quail though. They are coturnix so we stopped turning today and upped the humidty. Now, I messed up and had a bit too high humidty last time. I think - and correct me if I am wrong - that they need about 70% for hatching. So we are set there. I have moved them into another bator without the turner and some covering on the wire bottom so no one gets their feet caught up in the wire. We had one chick do so in the last time. Luckily it got out ok. How soon can I expect some hatchings? I am assuming Saturday or Sunday will be the main hatch time. [​IMG] we do at least a 90% hatch rate.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I hatch out Coturnixs 4 weeks ago i stop turning on day 14 and they didn't start to hatch till day 17 through 18 but from day 14 to the first pip the eggs were wiggling like crazy.

Your humidity is good . you have everything set perfect.

Good Luck [​IMG]

Keep us all updated [​IMG]

3. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Oh good I am glad to hear we have humidty Ok. I will keep an eye out for wiggles and rock n rolling! These are for my husband and he is back at work, so unfortunately we just HAVE to do all this work! [​IMG] I will post pics and keep updates since I will be sending hubby the same. He isn't the board reading type unfortunately.

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the soon to be new additions!
    I love it when quail, or anything hatches lol.

Best of Luck [​IMG]

5. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    No wiggles or signs of anything this morning. I bought these locally so I should have a good hatch rate, but then not sure after no signs of movement yet. Still keeping my fingers crossed. [​IMG]

6. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    The thing with Coturnix that is the complete opposite of bobwhite...is that they usually TAKE THEIR TIME lol. Bobwhite just zip out...Coturnix and more like chickens. Give them time and yah Day 17-18 is when you will see most of the results...but if some eggs dont hatch on those days it is okay...let the eggs go an extra 4-5 days just to be safe.
    [​IMG]

7. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Well Day 17 here and I don't see a change at all. I was at least expecting some movement. I am beginning to wonder if these eggs are any good. Everything has been perfect for temp and humidity the entire time. And yet I just get this feeling they are not going to hatch. The chicken eggs we did we had all sorts of up and downs with temps and such, but we saw movement days before we stopped turning - and hatched 60%. I will give them some more time. Maybe we are not meant for Coturnix. I have plenty of Bobwhites in the egg turning bator so we will have more. Just frustrated with these. [​IMG]

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    You will get some babies [​IMG] just have to wait.. for some reason most coturnix chicks like to hatch at night almost everyone i know that hatch them out said theres started to hatch at night.. even mine..

I didn't get my first pip till 7pm and they didn't start hatching till 9pm and the night before they hatch our power went out for 2 hours so i was worried that they all died cuz the temp went down to 80 for the whole 2 hours.. but when they did hatch i got 13 chicks out of 15 eggs so all was well [​IMG]

And all will be good for you to just wait and see [​IMG]

9. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Day 18 now. These eggs are just not rocking. However, we have one baby as of late afternoon. I had been gone the day and came home to peeping. Then this morning we have one pip. I just don't see a lot of movement now, but hoping for more since our one lone chick would be sad to raise without company. I will get pics later and post them of our progress.

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Come on little quail babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by