quail eggs day 24 and not hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by titika, Dec 21, 2013.

1. titika

titika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2013
    I am trying to hatch coturnix quail and not having much luck. They are on day 24 now. I candled them and tossed the ones I could see through. I cracked one open that was questionable and there was a healthy looking yolk sack and red veins so I am assuming that one was alive. I am not sure what to do with the others. Should I wait a few more days and see what happens or give up and just toss them? I am wondering if the location of my incubator is the cause for delay... it sits close to a door that is opened to let dogs in and out during the day. I don't want to move it now for fear I will shake up the eggs too much...

2. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Wow, 24 days is really overdue.... I just hatched quail 2 weeks ago & they all came out on day 18 apart from 1 which had to be helped out on day 19.

I'd guess they are dead, they are really fragile birds. I think your change in temps may have killed them.

I'm having lots of fun with my chicks, don't bother counting them after they hatch next time like I did. I've never lost a chicken chick, yet now at the age of 2 1/2 weeks my quail chicks have started dropping like flies. I've lost 2 in the past 3 days, seriously, they are VERY fragile compared to chickens.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and the quail forums!

Is there any life to them...as in any rockin and rollin? 24 days is a pretty long time for coturnix and if you are not seeing any movement, it is probably not looking good. Go a few more days and then you can probably assume they did not make it. So sorry.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  4. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    I haven't seen any movement but the one egg I broke open still had bright red veins and a yellow yolk sac and looked healthy. The chick didn't move even though I dried it gently and kept it warm. I broke one open a few days ago also and it was the same, red veins and all but the chick didnt have any feathers and the beak was still kinda soft. The one today had feathers and a hard beak. I am hoping it is just the temp fluctuation that is causing delay. It has not been below 98 in the incubator so I am hoping...

5. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    I started out with 7 week old chicks and raised them to adults then bought 70 day old chicks. I lost a few of them due to overcrowding. I really wasn't prepared for how fast they grow. I now have around 60 adults from different breeders. I have discovered how fragile they can be as chicks especially. I just wish I could get these silly eggs to hatch. I have another batch sitting in the turner in a draft free area all ready to go in in case these don't hatch. Going to relocate the incubator for sure though and hope that is the issue.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I have found it easer when hatching quail to keep the incubator in a
    where the temp is not changing much and no cold wind on the
    incubator ...... 24 day it just sounds like you might want to start on
    another batch and this time I might suggest putting the incubator
    in a non drafty area and make sure the incubator in cleaned very
    well with vinegar and every part as these are very tricky birds to
    deal with in the winter .......

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Titika, sounds like your temp was too low all during the incubation cycle. Next time, keep your bator in a place with constant and steady temps and humidity.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

X2 ,,,, no other explanation really is there .......

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    My quail eggs...

I never put it on my thread, but they went through a ten minute power cut in the incubator & the incubator moved house in the winter! Luckily it was just up the road.

I still managed to get 6 out of 11 eggs though.... I'd do what gander007 & the other post advises & locate the incubator elsewhere.

10. titika

Dec 21, 2013
    I gave up on the other eggs and started a new batch, with the incubator in a better location. Now the issue is keeping the cat off it. Seems to be his favorite place to sleep now. This new batch is 100 eggs. I am hoping they hatch this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by