Quail eggs for eating questions...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Aug 21, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    How long do they stay refrigerated?
    How do you boil them?
    Do you peel them the same way?
    Any other advice would be great. Also telling me how to pickle would be awesome! Not spicy pickling though.. I am allergic to some types of peppers and such in spicy pickling.
    I would like any recipes that are quick and nutritious ideas for a preschoolers school snack with quail eggs!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Because of thier smaller size I find out they can dry out faster, so i try to use the eggs up within 3-4 weeks (However I've been known to crack a bunch, and then freese them in ice cube trays, to be thawed and cooked later. (1 cube = 1 hen egg, usually these are baked or scrambled later).

3. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    Here is how I pickle my eggs... 30 eggs, pot of cold water covering the eggs. I put at least an inch or more of water above the eggs. Bring them to boil, I usually stand there and stir them slowly as it seems to help keep the yolk centered. I boil them for about 3 minutes then turn the burner off and let the eggs set in the water for another 7 minutes. After they cool I drain the water off and place them in a GLASS bowl, cover the eggs with vinegar so the vinegar is about an inch over the eggs, and let them set for about 4-5 hours. The vinegar eats the shells away and all thats left is the membrane. I peel the membrane off like a grape skin, once you get it right a few times it get easier. In a saucepan I combine 1c water, 1.25c vinegar, 3tsp salt, 1/4tsp mustard seed, 1 clove garlic minced, 1/4tsp white pepper, 1/4tsp onion powder, 1/4tsp dill seed. Simmer that for a few minutes while you boil your jars and lids
    ( warning:boiling this brine in the kitchen while your spouse is home can be hazardous to your health ). I place my peeled and washed eggs in the jars and set them in a pot of water, bring the water to near boiling and pour the brine over the eggs once the jars have gotten warm. Slap the lids on them like you would for canning, let them cool to room temp, place in fridge for 24 hours, then hide them from everyone else. They go fast.

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
  5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My button eggs don't last just too long in the 'fridge. Once I get a few saved up I either feed them to some of my chickens raw (shell and all), or I boil them and feed them to the chickens and the buttons.

When I boil them I just mash up the shell and all and feed it to them. [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Boiled quail eggs are an AWESOME kids's snack. Everyone is going to be so jealous of your little one and her cute little eggs! DO peel them before sending them though--they can be a bugger to peel, especially for little hands.

I haven't tried this yet, but I was told recently that they're easier to peel if you do this:

Bring the water to a boil.
    Submerge the eggs using a basket of some sort, straight into the boiling water.
    Leave them in exactly three minutes.
    Pull them out and submerge them immediately in icy cold water (might want to have this ready before you even begin).

I was told that they practically peel themselves when treated this way.

Good luck!

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:I do similar with chicken eggs.
    I put them all in cool water, and bring to a boil. When done cooking, I pour off the hot water, replace with cool and some ice. As SOON as eggs can be handled, I bust the ends of them , and let them soak a few more minutes in the ice water. They peel great!

I havne't had a chance to cook quail eggs yet. My quail are only a week old so I have a little wait. [​IMG]

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    I put them all in cool water, and bring to a boil. When done cooking, I pour off the hot water, replace with cool and some ice. As SOON as eggs can be handled, I bust the ends of them , and let them soak a few more minutes in the ice water. They peel great!

I havne't had a chance to cook quail eggs yet. My quail are only a week old so I have a little wait. [​IMG]

i am a chef by profession, this same idea is used anytime you "blanch" something, take it from the boiling water to the ice bath as we call it, this stops the cooking process and, with eggs, due to the extreme change, the inner film separates from the now cooked whites. which in turn makes them just peel off so easy(heavily salted water also helps break down the shell, causing it to crack/peel easier)

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms

i am a chef by profession, this same idea is used anytime you "blanch" something, take it from the boiling water to the ice bath as we call it, this stops the cooking process and, with eggs, due to the extreme change, the inner film separates from the now cooked whites. which in turn makes them just peel off so easy(heavily salted water also helps break down the shell, causing it to crack/peel easier)

X2........Boil time = 7 minutes......they'll be just right!

10. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Awesome I have some eggs that I am going to probably boil tonight for both our lunches tomorrow lol!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by