Quail eggs for eating

Otter22

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Northern California
I have a local store that would like to buy fresh quail eggs from me for eating.

I always keep them in the frige and wash them before I eat them. I have looked around and it seems that it is suggested that you just wipe the eggs off with a damp paper towel to get any dirt off not soak them and dry.

It seems a bit labor intensive are there any other ways to clean the eggs that is safe?

I was also wondering how long after they are cleaned the store could keep them on the shelves for sale.

Thanks,

John

Quote:
i believe you are supposed to dry wipe them b/c they stay fresher longer that way. Wet wiping them ,i'm told, removes some sort of protective coating ...anyone else have a more educated answer?
hu.gif

I have posted on the subject of making an "owner's manual" before. I would include this in my owner's manual for my Coturnix if (and I do intend to) I were to sell eggs for consumption.

First I suggest with going to the wildlife, fish and game, federal and state, sites and printing out the laws on your species. Remember to highlight or underline anything that applies to you.

Now on the Dept. of Ag and Food Safety side of things, which is what you are talking about on this thread, I would go to your State's Dept. of Ag site. Search for laws or pages within the site for "producers" or any sort of egg law. Print it.

In Colorado, we are lucky that the Coturnix eggs are exempt from the egg producer laws. Never the less, I am going to follow the rules that a "REAL" egg producer would have to follow. I am going to look at all the requirements for washing, water temp required 110 degrees F. Label for safe handling instructions etc.

So you have a couple of places you need to go to print out or save the rules, laws, requirements for egg production.

State / Dept. of Agriculture (Egg producer)

Local Health Dept (Food Safety rules ...as eggs are considered a "potentially hazardous food source" according to most health dept literature).

I have printed my pages out from Colorado and have included them in my "Owner's Manual" for my Coturnix.

Your Food Safety or Health Dept. rules and regs are available state by state on line.

Just my suggestion. You may find Coturnix are unregulated like they are in Colorado, or not...I don't know. I intend to "cover my backside" and have my set up and production as "by the book" as I can get it. I don't want to make anyone sick or be accused as such. That is why I try to go the extra mile and do what would be required of a major producer, even though I am tiny.

wink.png
Tiny but mighty:p

Just a suggestion, Owner's Manuals rock.

Tonya

Last edited:
Hi Tonya,

Those are some really good suggestions. I will check it out and see what I can find out.

I does seem kind of strange that I am not getting more answers to this question the little suckers lay a ton
of eggs and seems like it would be some good helpful information for others.

Thank again,

John

Back
Top Bottom