Quail eggs in the fridge

I never put the eggs in the fridge. Only at room temp. You can keep them probably two weeks but know the longer you go the less the hatch rate will be.

REFRIGERAtING EGGS WILL CUT YOUR HATCH AND SURVIVAL RATES IN HALF---- JUST TRIED A BATCH THAT WERE REFRIGERATED--- SOME WILL HATCH 50% GIVE OR TAKE..... BUT YOU WILL HAVE A LATE MORTALITY THAT IS HIGH (CHICKS DIEING IN THE 1ST 72 HRS OF LIFE)

I just keep mine on the dresser in the hatching room, and they do just fine. It's about 78 degrees in there most of the time
smile.png

Refridgeration is BAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!

Last edited:
Quote:
This is interesting. I set 6 grocery store eggs in my incubator after a week in my crisper drawer...and they are all moving around in their eggs today on day 9. I wonder if they'll make it?

Lemme Tell Ya'll About My Lil Science Experiment!!!

I Received A Large Batch Of Coturnix Eggs From A Nearby Breeder--- They Handed Them To Me Strait Outta The Fridge! I Emailed A Couple Of Folks Here And Asked Will They Develope? Their Answers Were A Unanimous "i Dont Know, Set Them And See." --- So I Did. While Almost All Started Developement Only About 1/2 Actually Hatched. Of The Half That Hatched, We Had About 50-55% Late Mortality Rate Where The Peeps Died Within The 1st 72 Hrs.

I Am Not New To Quail, Nor Am I New To Coturnix--- I'm Runnin 97% + With Our Own Coturnix Eggs Produced Here, And Almost 100% With 2 Speces Of Bob White.

I Set The Refrigerated Eggs, My Own Eggs,& A Large Batch Of Niki's Eggs Simultaneously--- Same Bator, Same Day, Same Conditions Throughout, Heck They Were Even The Same Size Batches Of Eggs! I Have A 90% Hatch On Niki's (shipped At Least 1200 Miles-- That's What Brown Can Do For You...) A 97% Hatch On Mine, And A 52-55% Hatch On The Refrigerated Eggs Which Were Obtained Locally, Not Shipped--- All Chicks Were Marked At Hatching And Placed In The Same Brooder( Again Same Treatment And Conditions Throughout) Had 3 Of Niki's Die--- 1 After Day 5, Lost 1 Of Mine (late Hatcher -weak Pip, Helped Hatch) The Fridge Eggs--- 21 Out Of 40 Hatched.... Out Of The 21 Hatch I Lost 2 On Day 1, 8 On Day2, And 4 On Day 3..... Since Then I Havent Lost Any From The 3 Batches---

So Now Y'all Have The Same Raw Data I Do---- What Do You Think? My Conclusion Was That If The Egg Is Fertile It Will Start To Develope Even After Refrigeration, Has A 50-50 Chance At Hatching, And A 50-50 Chance At Survivng After The Hatch....

Emily=== Grocery Store Eggs? I'll Be! I Wouldnt Even Think They Would Be Fertile! I Know All The Egg Production Farms Around Here (zephyr Egg Company)get Pullets Only--- No Roos To Fertilize. They Use Production Run Layer Girls To Produce Eggs For Consumption Only--- Raise Them To Laying Eggs, Run Them For A Year Or So, Or At Least Until Production Slows Down, Then Its Off The Purdue For Meat Use! And The Next Batch Is In The Newly Empty Pens Laying Away!

Last edited:
For The Record.... I Have An Extra Automatic Egg Turner--- Its Here On A Counter Top In The House And Running, I Collect Our Eggs And Place Them In The Turner Until Setting In The Bator---- They Stay At Room Temp Which Is Anywhere From 72-78 Degrees. I Do Think That Turning In Storage Is A Valuable Key To A Better Hatch Rate.... I Agree With Shelly--- Room Temp

Back
Top Bottom