1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Quail eggs...Keep your fingers crossed!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 18, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I put my cortunix and button quail eggs in the hatcher tonight. Keep your fingers crossed that they hatch!! I am down to 3 cortunix that are for sure developing, and 3 that I'm not so sure about. The buttons are a toss-up, I can't see a thing in those!!

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Good luck!! I've had great luck with Coturnix but not a darn Button has ever hatched for me.

3. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'll keep my fingers cross [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Thanks! I really hope they hatch. This is my first time incubating quail, and my first try with shipped eggs!

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

*Doing the Moo-Moo dance.* C'mon out little ones!

6. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Good luck! I put mine in the hatcher about 30 hours ago. How did you get you candle the cortunix? I can't seem to see anything threw them.

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Best of luck on your hatch. Just be very careful when you decide to move them. I was cautioned about that but I still had quail scatter when I move them out of the brooder at 6 weeks. They are fast and fly great. I should have waited to have someone help me mine all few away in different directions and I never saw them again.

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Good luck! I'd love to hatch some of my coturnix this spring. I really enjoy them!

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I only had one cortunix egg that I couldn't see through. I have a small LED flashlight, and it shows up pretty well. Shine the light down through the top, where the air sac is. It makes the wloe egg light up really good. I tried with the buttons, and was able to see through one of the 5 or 6 that I tried, so I gsve up. All I could see in that one was the air sac! At least it looked intact, so the p.o. didn't scramble all of those!

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yeah, I plan on keeping them in the house as long as possible. I only have one brooder right now, and it is full of chicks, so I will have to devide it or something. Sorry you lost yours, that would really stink!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by