Quail Eggs production in winters without 12hrs light

Mustafa Aamir

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2020
Hi, i have 1 male and 4 female cotournix quails, they have stopped laying eggs completely due to winters approaching... i am unable to provide them with light 12hrs a day but i try to.
are there any other way that from which quails can start laying again... maybe change in diet or something.

I have 2 males and 2 females in a cage now. I kept them in a separate room in my house but I didn't offer any additional light or heat source. I found two eggs on the floor today and was pleasantly surprised. I thought the quails stopped laying when the day light gets shorter, but they still lay on the day of winter solstice! I'm not sure if they're fertilized though. I haven't observed any mating for awhile.

I have 2 males and 2 females in a cage now. I kept them in a separate room in my house but I didn't offer any additional light or heat source. I found two eggs on the floor today and was pleasantly surprised. I thought the quails stopped laying when the day light gets shorter, but they still lay on the day of winter solstice! I'm not sure if they're fertilized though. I haven't observed any mating for awhile.
Some will lay year 'round, but most will slow down or stop.

I was surprised how little light they needed to make up for the lost daylight hours. mine are currently in the porch, getting some light from the window, and it seems like that’s all they needed to start laying. You can probably get a cheap solar light and achieve the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom